Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Hi,

So I've begun making a few app icons.

A preview of ones done as 128x128 are shown in a preview in the attachment .

I'll release them on dA (http://allannyholm.deviantart.com) in the coming days as I prepare a few more if I keep enjoying making them like I do now.

Shout out to the old Proteus IM app icon creator for giving me inspiration.

Opinions?

lovesafariitunes.jpg

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I think they look good. My only suggestion would be to make your icons 1024x1024. With some apps you'll need to replace the .icns file in order for the icon to change/stay changed and these icon sets include sizes up to 1024x1024. 128x128 is too small for retina devices.

If you meant you were just doing previews of your icons at 128x128 and the final icons will be bigger, than ignore all this. :)

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
These look great, really nice stuff. Could you see your way into doing a nice one of World of Warcraft? The icon Blizzard has is the same one from over a decade ago and it hasn't aged well.

Also, I have been out of the customization loop on the mac since about 2011, when I briefly went back to Windows based machines. How does one properly modify OS and App icons now? I tried the old method the other day and it didn't work, and the app I used to ADORE, Candy Bar, is no longer maintained.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Thanks both.

@Sital You're right in that I'll be scaling up.

@buttongerald Louie Mantia has a nice WoW icon here: http://louie.land/icons/ - in the top category. It's looking good.

Changing system icons is done using LiteIcon from www.freemacsoft.net (my go to app) or IconBox(somewhat out of retirement - haven't used more recently myself)

Note. That LiteIcon will give a heads up with regards to SIP on El Capitan. So turn that off or at least type in
Code:
csrutil enable --without fs
in the Terminal window of your recovery partition.

I've more recently used this
Code:
csrutil enable --without fs --without debug --without kext
which allows also for XtraFinder to not complain and more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.