Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khalitzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2016
So many people -myself included- report that their 16" battery health is less than 100% out of the box. Now that'd be okay if it was 99 or even 98. But for most, it's 95% or even less. Now that's all fine and dandy, discharge and charge and let it calibrate, it'll be fine and report correct readings right? This seems to not be the case for everyone.

My 16" (32GB of RAM, i9 2.3 CPU, 1 TB of SSD storage) came out of the box with 99.7% battery health. Didn't complain, altho I don't remember seeing a MBP with less than 100% battery capacity out of the box. 11 cycles later it drops to 97.8%.. I thought maybe it was a fluke and it would settle later, so I let it drain to 0% and then charged it to 100% and left it plugged in overnight, but unfortunately that didn't help. A few cycles later it got worse, yes worse. Down to 94.9% now at 40 cycles. I tried "calibrating" it again multiple times and nothing seemed to work. I even reset the SMC, the NVRAM, and PRAM multiple times to no avail. I eventually wiped it clean and installed macOS and didn't restore from any backup. Still, the issue persists.

I took it to an authorized apple service provider since we don't have Apple Stores where I live, they ran diagnostics on it and told me the health was 97% on their test which was normal to them... 3% degradation in 25ish cycles damn apple?

I made a couple of posts here and on Reddit, and I found out that I wasn't alone OCDing over this.

My battery manufacturer is Simplo -you can check yours in coconutbattery-, and I realized most other 16" with these batteries have a similar issue/pattern. While DSY batteries (the other manufacturer that makes them) seem to always have a 99%/100% battery health out of the box and even up to 40+ cycles. Although I saw very few DSY batteries with a similar issue to mine.

A lot of people told me these readings are all guestimations and whatnot, but if that's the case; why does it decrease in my case and many others? and why isn't it 100% like other 16"s at all? Not even once has it hit the 100% of design capacity.

I'm way past my 14 days return period since this all happened afterwards, and none of the apple support workers know ******** about this tbh... Got this mac a month after its release.

So yeah, thoughts guys? This issue has been nagging me since its inception, it's been triggering my gadget OCD you can say.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 2.13.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 2.13.10 AM.png
    410.2 KB · Views: 2,829
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 2.13.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 2.13.06 AM.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 1,127
Last edited by a moderator:

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
Sounds like you got a slightly defective battery that's still within manufacturing tolerances. I wouldn't worry too much about it, 5% difference is really a small difference.

If it stabilizes then you're left with a really good battery that's almost as good as new. If it keeps dropping rapidly you will find yourself below the 85% threshold before the warranty expires so you will get the battery replaced for free.

You win in both cases.

khalitzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Sounds like you got a slightly defective battery that's still within manufacturing tolerances. I wouldn't worry too much about it, 5% difference is really a small difference.

If it stabilizes then you're left with a really good battery that's almost as good as new. If it keeps dropping rapidly you will find yourself below the 85% threshold before the warranty expires so you will get the battery replaced for free.

You win in both cases.
:( Slightly defective doesn't sound all that great to me, specially given where I live and the whole warranty thing, it's a long story. I hope it's just the battery controller reporting wrong readings :x. 5% is indeed not much but for a brand new expensive machine that cost me upwards of 3.9k USD it's much ;x.

Reactions: ouimetnick

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I took it to an authorized apple service provider since we don't have Apple Stores where I live, they ran diagnostics on it and told me the health was 97% on their test which was normal to them... 3% degradation in 25ish cycles damn apple?"

Actually, that sounds about right to me.

Reactions: robvas

khalitzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2016
"I took it to an authorized apple service provider since we don't have Apple Stores where I live, they ran diagnostics on it and told me the health was 97% on their test which was normal to them... 3% degradation in 25ish cycles damn apple?"

Actually, that sounds about right to me.
it’s 94.8% now.. how does that sound like. And why?

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
Perfection (In this case a 100% coconut battery score.) is an illusion.

It’s best just to use your Mac for its intended purpose and not obsess about minutiae that don’t matter.

If the Mac performs badly, use your AppleCare.

drownedyasas

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019
I don't know what to say tbh, Mine was at like 95% after 4 months of use. It never went over 98% and yesterday, after a gaming session in bootcamp where my battery dropped to like 85% in windows I rebooted into macOS and I found that my battery was suddenly at 100% instead of that 85% from windows... strange huh? I went and I checked and.. My battery health dropped at 85% and is now at 82% after 1 day of normal broswing use on macOS. wtf? Do you guys know what happened?
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 15.18.29.png

Reactions: khalitzy

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My totally uneducated guess is since the 100 wH battery capacity is the maximum allowed on a flight, tolerances had to be changed so that they can't exceed the 100% capacity. Whereas on previous MacBooks, it wasn't uncommon to see batteries start their life over the 100% mark.

khalitzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Perfection (In this case a 100% coconut battery score.) is an illusion.

It’s best just to use your Mac for its intended purpose and not obsess about minutiae that don’t matter.

If the Mac performs badly, use your AppleCare.
why is it an illusion? battery life isn’t great either.

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I think what's going on here is Apple is finally using higher wattage components in thier laptops and thus degrading battery capacity far faster. People with gaming laptops go through this all the time. (me) The higher the wattage you draw on average every cycle, the faster the battery degrades.

ragu

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
So many people -myself included- report that their 16" battery health is less than 100% out of the box. Now that'd be okay if it was 99 or even 98. But for most, it's 95% or even less. Now that's all fine and dandy, discharge and charge and let it calibrate, it'll be fine and report correct readings right? This seems to not be the case for everyone.

My 16" (32GB of RAM, i9 2.3 CPU, 1 TB of SSD storage) came out of the box with 99.7% battery health. Didn't complain, altho I don't remember seeing a MBP with less than 100% battery capacity out of the box. 11 cycles later it drops to 97.8%.. I thought maybe it was a fluke and it would settle later, so I let it drain to 0% and then charged it to 100% and left it plugged in overnight, but unfortunately that didn't help. A few cycles later it got worse, yes worse. Down to 94.9% now at 40 cycles. I tried "calibrating" it again multiple times and nothing seemed to work. I even reset the SMC, the NVRAM, and PRAM multiple times to no avail. I eventually wiped it clean and installed macOS and didn't restore from any backup. Still, the issue persists.

I took it to an authorized apple service provider since we don't have Apple Stores where I live, they ran diagnostics on it and told me the health was 97% on their test which was normal to them... 3% degradation in 25ish cycles damn apple?

I made a couple of posts here and on Reddit, and I found out that I wasn't alone OCDing over this.

My battery manufacturer is Simplo -you can check yours in coconutbattery-, and I realized most other 16" with these batteries have a similar issue/pattern. While DSY batteries (the other manufacturer that makes them) seem to always have a 99%/100% battery health out of the box and even up to 40+ cycles. Although I saw very few DSY batteries with a similar issue to mine.

A lot of people told me these readings are all guestimations and whatnot, but if that's the case; why does it decrease in my case and many others? and why isn't it 100% like other 16"s at all? Not even once has it hit the 100% of design capacity.

I'm way past my 14 days return period since this all happened afterwards, and none of the apple support workers know ******** about this tbh... Got this mac a month after its release.

So yeah, thoughts guys? This issue has been nagging me since its inception, it's been triggering my gadget OCD you can say.
Mine showed at 99% also but after 2 cycles I decided it needed recalibration which I did and its been at 100% ever since...

khalitzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Mine showed at 99% also but after 2 cycles I decided it needed recalibration which I did and its been at 100% ever since...
nice, I mean yeah congrats. but that didnt fix it for me ;x

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I would not care if my 16" MBP didn't hold a 4 or 5 or 6+ hours of charge.

Mine sits on a desk as a desktop computer w/ 27" Thunderbolt display all the time.

For kicks, I checked using Coconut Battery and got 98% on a 6 month old battery:
Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 6.00.42 PM.png

no girls

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
very disappointed as well. my 16 inch macbook pro is at 93% battery health with only 3 months of usage at 77 cycle count. kinda worrying how it could drain this much within 3 months. hoping that it'll drain past 80% before the 1 year warranty is up so apple will give a replacement battery for me and i'll have a new one after i am out of warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.