Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Glad you are liking it. Here is me waiting for iPhone 13 with M1 inside. ;)

my wife got the mini and I think it’s the perfect size.
Nope, the 13 lineup wont have a tablet or mac SoC, it will have an iPhone chip. Therefore, they will have an A15 chip. There has never been an iPhone with an A9X, an A10X or an A12X chip. If you realize the M1 is actually an A14X with a more appealing name (just to avoid people saying the new macs are iPads), you will better understand the big picture.

@iHorseHead congratulations, you have an awesome device, with many, many years of support ahead. The big differences with the iPhone 13 mini (probably the last iPhone mini) won’t be on the chip, but on a lower consumption, slightly bigger battery, and definitely better cameras. Maybe we’ll see under display Touch ID, hopefully, but I am not so sure. But regarding power and memory, I think it will be a slight increase this year.

Stephen1950

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2021
Nice thread, I too was in love with my 12 mini untill I tried to listen to my own music, uploaded to the device and discovered that I could only do that if I subscribed to Apple Music. None of the apps I tried could access my music files without that subscription, even though I have no interest in a streaming service. Is there a work around for this, or am I trapped in Apple music hell, lol.
It is a nice phone though, reminds me of the old SE I had....

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Nice thread, I too was in love with my 12 mini untill I tried to listen to my own music, uploaded to the device and discovered that I could only do that if I subscribed to Apple Music. None of the apps I tried could access my music files without that subscription, even though I have no interest in a streaming service. Is there a work around for this, or am I trapped in Apple music hell, lol.
It is a nice phone though, reminds me of the old SE I had....
I’d swear you can absolutely sync your own music from iTunes (on Windows) or Music App (on mac) to your iPhone.

Also, there’s a music cloud service that syncs and stores all your music on the cloud, called iTunes Match. That what I have, because I still don’t want Apple Music, it’s just 24$ per year.

Reactions: one more

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
In 3 months, iPhone 13 mini :p

Highly unlikely a 13 Mini will be announced at this point after the seriously lackluster sales of 12 Mini, which were mostly because of poor battery. I do think the iPhone/iPad mini user base has shrunk as people have become used to larger phones, but I don't think that explains why 12 Mini has done so poorly. It might be a small part of it, but rather I think it's the battery. They may have planned on it right when the 12 Mini came out to do a 13 Mini, but not now. I'd say it was scrapped months back when they got the data in from 2020's sales and this year hasn't been any kinder.

From all accounts, they will do a 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max model. I think to see a 13 Mini, especially only with a battery bump is unlikely. That's all the mini needs, but I don't think Apple will do it. I would be shocked to see more than the 3 above mentioned models in September from what my sources and the web is telling me for this year. If they would bump the screen to 5.6 or 5.8, stick a bigger battery in there, and what have you it would be an amazing phone. And it's not just power consumption from the chip, its the mAh or lack thereof on the 12 Mini. If anything the A15 will be even more powerful and power hungry. So it won't be done from that perspective. They have to fit a bigger better battery in there and in that form factor, they might only be able to do so much. They should really make one though.

• Angry
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Also over priced, seeing that now will all 3 major retailers here dropping $300 off, only ever see that with Samsung phones.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
Highly unlikely a 13 Mini will be announced at this point after the seriously lackluster sales of 12 Mini, which were mostly because of poor battery. (...)
From all accounts, they will do a 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max model.
Huh? Most of the rumors so far agree that there will be an iPhone 13 Mini. We even got detailed dimensions for it in the CAD leaks. That is no guarantee, of course, but considering that preparations for the 13-generation were probably well on their way by the time 12 Mini hit the stores, Apple might just go along with the 13 Mini rather than abort it now. The 12 Mini has still sold in the millions, and I doubt Apple made a loss on it. A 14 Mini seems less likely, though.

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
Huh? Most of the rumors so far agree that there will be an iPhone 13 Mini. We even got detailed dimensions for it in the CAD leaks. That is no guarantee, of course, but considering that preparations for the 13-generation were probably well on their way by the time 12 Mini hit the stores, Apple might just go along with the 13 Mini rather than abort it now. The 12 Mini has still sold in the millions, and I doubt Apple made a loss on it. A 14 Mini seems less likely, though.

Apple certainly sold them, but no where near as much as the other three models. Even the poorest of the other 3, the 12 Pro, still well well outsold the 12 Mini. Not as much as the iPhone 12 and then 12 Pro Max, but it certainly brought up the rear in a big way because of the battery flaws imposed by a poor mAH battery and small housing. It's a tradeoff.

I think that Jon Prosser is an extremely unlikely source of any Apple information at this point. He was considered hit or miss in february, now after WWDC 2021, he's a mostly more misses than hits with some given "s**thouse luck" now and again. Honestly if you throw it against a wall long enough, some will naturally stick and look skillfully placed. ;) I mean the guy on video is about as obnoxious they come, but his leak tweets are another thing. It's just his accuracy that is of concern for me now. He has a long way to go to get to Mark Gurman or Ming Chi Kuo's level of accuracy.

I think it wouldn't be unlike Apple to abort the plans deep into a project. They've done it before. I don't doubt they were at one point still considering just putting out another mini anyway but the stats don't lie. We've seen what happened to the HomePod. We also heard what happened to AirPower. So I think Apple doesn't want another HomePod-like fiasco.

Trust me, I think it would be great if they could pull it off. If they did, then I think we'd absolutely see a 14 Mini. All it needs is perhaps a tiny bit bigger screen and a much better battery life and mAh battery and we'd be seeing different data on the sales figures. No one wants a phone that doesn't last a day. I charge my 12 Pro Max every other day and it gets used heavily. I also was able to do that with my 11 Pro Max, although maybe not quite as much battery life as 12.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Apple certainly sold them, but no where near as much as the other three models. Even the poorest of the other 3, the 12 Pro, still well well outsold the 12 Mini. Not as much as the iPhone 12 and then 12 Pro Max, but it certainly brought up the rear in a big way because of the battery flaws imposed by a poor mAH battery and small housing. It's a tradeoff.

I think that Jon Prosser is an extremely unlikely source of any Apple information at this point. He was considered hit or miss in february, now after WWDC 2021, he's a mostly more misses than hits with some given "s**thouse luck" now and again. Honestly if you throw it against a wall long enough, some will naturally stick and look skillfully placed. ;) I mean the guy on video is about as obnoxious they come, but his leak tweets are another thing. It's just his accuracy that is of concern for me now. He has a long way to go to get to Mark Gurman or Ming Chi Kuo's level of accuracy.

I think it wouldn't be unlike Apple to abort the plans deep into a project. They've done it before. I don't doubt they were at one point still considering just putting out another mini anyway but the stats don't lie. We've seen what happened to the HomePod. We also heard what happened to AirPower. So I think Apple doesn't want another HomePod-like fiasco.

Trust me, I think it would be great if they could pull it off. If they did, then I think we'd absolutely see a 14 Mini. All it needs is perhaps a tiny bit bigger screen and a much better battery life and mAh battery and we'd be seeing different data on the sales figures. No one wants a phone that doesn't last a day. I charge my 12 Pro Max every other day and it gets used heavily. I also was able to do that with my 11 Pro Max, although maybe not quite as much battery life as 12.
Well the Iphone 13 Mini is going to a have battery bump up to around 2400 Mh (an 8% increase from the 12 mini), so this should help a bit, and the A15 efficiency improvements should also increase battery life somewhat. Lets see how the 13 mini sells now the shops are open, and people can now just drop into Apple stores like it was pre-covid, and browse/try products as they please. Personally I get very good battery life out of my 12 mini.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Highly unlikely a 13 Mini will be announced at this point after the seriously lackluster sales of 12 Mini, which were mostly because of poor battery. I do think the iPhone/iPad mini user base has shrunk as people have become used to larger phones, but I don't think that explains why 12 Mini has done so poorly. It might be a small part of it, but rather I think it's the battery. They may have planned on it right when the 12 Mini came out to do a 13 Mini, but not now. I'd say it was scrapped months back when they got the data in from 2020's sales and this year hasn't been any kinder.

From all accounts, they will do a 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max model. I think to see a 13 Mini, especially only with a battery bump is unlikely. That's all the mini needs, but I don't think Apple will do it. I would be shocked to see more than the 3 above mentioned models in September from what my sources and the web is telling me for this year. If they would bump the screen to 5.6 or 5.8, stick a bigger battery in there, and what have you it would be an amazing phone. And it's not just power consumption from the chip, its the mAh or lack thereof on the 12 Mini. If anything the A15 will be even more powerful and power hungry. So it won't be done from that perspective. They have to fit a bigger better battery in there and in that form factor, they might only be able to do so much. They should really make one though.
There will be a mini iPhone this September, but yeah, they aren’t planning any more minis for 2022 and onwards.

Remember Apple plans their phones with several years of anticipation. They had the 13 mini planned before the poor sales of the 12 mini, and the production line, components etc are already there. That’s why we already have the CAD files, renders, and case models for the 13 mini (it is happening) but it has already leaked that the 2022 lineup will consist on 2 regular iPhones (6.1” and 6.7”) and two Pro models (6.1” and 6.7”). But this year we’re having a mini model, and yes, with slightly bigger battery, as the capacity have been leaked as well from reliable sources.

Don’t believe me? We’ll talk in 3 months :p

PS: I agree, Prosser is an unreliable source. I read many more sources that are independent from Prosser.

PS2: Yes, your idea of a slightly bigger mini (let’s say, bringing back the 5.8” iPhone and NOT marketing it as a mini) is great, and hopefully one that they will do in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Looks like they've already ended production on the 12 Mini. Not a good sign for a 13 Mini.

The 13 Mini is 100% definitely being released, that's a fact. Its the 14 Mini in 2022, that is most likely not happening.

Hopefully in 2022, Apple will release their Flip iphone, and that's where i'm going next as it will probably be even smaller than the 12/13 mini when closed.

• Love
Reactions: Populus

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
The 13 Mini is 100% definitely being released, that's a fact. Its the 14 Mini in 2022, that is most likely not happening.

Hopefully in 2022, Apple will release their Flip iphone, and that's where i'm going next as it will probably be even smaller than the 12/13 mini when closed.

That is not a fact lol. It would only be a "fact" if Apple came out and told their plans, and good luck getting that to happen before the event. It's far more likely that it will *not* be released. In fact I'd bet money it wouldn't be released!

It's highly unlikely. They've already ended the 12 Mini production. Just because there was CAD renders means *nothing*. Why release a product like that. And if they did release a iPhone 13 Mini with a better battery, it would sell well and there would be NO reason to not release a 14 Mini. That would be dumb to do a 13 Mini, improve it, and then discontinue it. That's foolish. Apple may be a lot of things but foolish isn't one of them. There are two options. Don't do any more minis. Improve the mini, it sells well, and continue to sell it for years to come. Doing an improved mini this year and then quitting regardless of sales is the dumbest idea I've heard lately and I've heard some dandies!

• Haha
Reactions: snipr125

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
There will be a 13 Mini, more and more leaks of CAD files etc. That is not 100% sure of course till it is released, but quite sure, maybe 98%.

I don't know why you tell in several posts there won't be a 13 Mini for sure because of sales. Are YOU Tim Cook?

Companies plan years ahead and it would cost them a lot to stop a device because the last one didn't sell as well as they thought. And they could just cut production of the 13 Mini model. So maybe it will be hard to get at the beginning.

But after all this leaks, and every leaker, some very trustworthy, it is quite sure there will be a 13 Mini, as sure as there will be NO 14 Mini.

Everyone these days should know that companies plan years ahead, now developing maybe iPhone 15 oder later.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
That is not a fact lol. It would only be a "fact" if Apple came out and told their plans, and good luck getting that to happen before the event. It's far more likely that it will *not* be released. In fact I'd bet money it wouldn't be released!

It's highly unlikely. They've already ended the 12 Mini production. Just because there was CAD renders means *nothing*. Why release a product like that. And if they did release a iPhone 13 Mini with a better battery, it would sell well and there would be NO reason to not release a 14 Mini. That would be dumb to do a 13 Mini, improve it, and then discontinue it. That's foolish. Apple may be a lot of things but foolish isn't one of them. There are two options. Don't do any more minis. Improve the mini, it sells well, and continue to sell it for years to come. Doing an improved mini this year and then quitting regardless of sales is the dumbest idea I've heard lately and I've heard some dandies!
OK macguy2021, you have a right to your own opinion, but there are multiple rumours from many sources that have been posted here on Macrumours over the last few months stating that there will be 4 iphone models released in September, including a 5.4 mini version like the 12 mini. The article you posted about the 12 mini ending production, has an article directly below it stating for the umpteenth time that an iphone 13 mini will be released. Even the exact battery size has been posted, along with all the CAD files on various articles. EverythingApples u tube channel has actual models of it. I don’t know what more to tell you. Even the many 12 mini haters here on Macrumours all know and accept there will be 13 mini model.

edit - I understand your statements that it’s mad to release a better version of a phone (13 mini with bigger battery), and then cancel it the year after even if successful, but this is a whole different conversation altogether!

Last edited:

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
That's great to hear, iHorseHead. I love the 12 mini's countenance, but for whatever reason I've always used the least expensive iPhone that gets me by, so it will probably be a while until I get to enjoy one.

De-Googling yourself is liberating – I use Google for the occasional thing, but generally I'm signed out, don't have any first-party Google apps, and use private browser windows and such to contain what I can. I think the company has always had good intentions: they're not as single-mindedly user-last as Facebook seems, but also not as single-mindedly user-first as Apple does, so I've settled on observing their occasional cool achievements from a reasonable distance.

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
There will be a 13 Mini, more and more leaks of CAD files etc. That is not 100% sure of course till it is released, but quite sure, maybe 98%.

I don't know why you tell in several posts there won't be a 13 Mini for sure because of sales. Are YOU Tim Cook?

Companies plan years ahead and it would cost them a lot to stop a device because the last one didn't sell as well as they thought. And they could just cut production of the 13 Mini model. So maybe it will be hard to get at the beginning.

But after all this leaks, and every leaker, some very trustworthy, it is quite sure there will be a 13 Mini, as sure as there will be NO 14 Mini.

Everyone these days should know that companies plan years ahead, now developing maybe iPhone 15 oder later.

CAD files, cad files. Yes I know there have been CAD files. I also know Willy Wonka had oompa loompas. Big whoop.

Are you saying that that alone is confirming that if those get made it *has* to be released? I mean we had down to the box leaks of images of AirPower and it got yanked. Apple has already stopped production of the current 12 Mini.

I don't know why you say there will be just because of CAD files. You aren't Tim Cook either! Sales don't lie. Neither does confirmation of production being ended of the current product. Those are more proof than a rumor. I'm not going to say 100 percent it won't happen (there isn't 100 percent anything IMO), but I feel confident enough that it won't happen that I'd be welling to bet on it not happening. If they were to release a 13 Mini with a fix for battery, it would sell well and they would continue to sell the Mini for years. It would be statistically impossible to make a great Mini, it sell well, and just quit regardless because of the last generation's lack of sales. So if they do make one this year they will make them for the forseeable future. They would continue to make them. It's impossible to release one with better battery life, it sell better, and still decide not to make a 14 Mini. I'd bet everything I have that scenario is impossible.

To say there is a 98 percent chance of one happening based on rumors is how we got so many disappointed peons after their precious iPad Pro M1's didn't get what they fantasized about with iPadOS 15. This is how hearts get broken and panties get twisted. You never bank on the rumor mill as being 98 percent of anything - even if you're Mark Gurman.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
If they were to release a 13 Mini with a fix for battery, it would sell well and they would continue to sell the Mini for years. It would be statistically impossible to make a great Mini, it sell well, and just quit regardless because of the last generation's lack of sales. So if they do make one this year they will make them for the forseeable future. They would continue to make them. It's impossible to release one with better battery life, it sell better, and still decide not to make a 14 Mini. I'd bet everything I have that scenario is impossible.
That impossible scenario will probably happen, and if you still have that account, I will quote you in 3 months (If I remember to do it, which I doubt lol).

Look, this is not against you, it is just we have a different view, and I’m going to try to point where I think you may be wrong: You say:

· Apple in 2020: We’re releasing the 12 mini and, if it sells well, we continue in 2021 with the 13 mini. We’ll take that decision... in early 2021, mere months before the release of the next iPhone

· Apple in 2021: Oops, iPhone 12 mini sold millions, but not as much as the bigger iPhones, so this plant/facility we made for the mini, and all the screens we have bought/arranged for the 13 mini, we’re going to tell the suppliers and the supply chain that they can keep them, that we’re not going to manufacture it. We’ll have to pay them anyways, but we’re canceling all this few months before the release.

Sort of. And several users, me included, are trying to explain to you that Apple doesn’t work this way, at least with yearly products like iPhones. We know there will be a 5.4” iPhone, two 6.1” iPhones and one 6.7” in 2020 AND in 2021 since 2018. And we know for at least a year, that there will be a different lineup for 2022 and probably 2023, with two 6.1” and two 6.7”, because those are planned years ahead, as well.

To say there is a 98 percent chance of one happening based on rumors is how we got so many disappointed peons after their precious iPad Pro M1's didn't get what they fantasized about with iPadOS 15

I know some people fantasized about macOS on the iPad Pro, something Apple has stated repeatedly it is not going to happen (they want you to buy a mac, and an iPad and an iPhone), but there usually aren’t many software rumors, and the few ones we heard didn’t point on a clear direction, and of course there weren’t leaks about iPadOS becoming a mac-like OS. It has the same chip as the new macs because now the macs carry a powerful iPad SoC on the inside.

That was a bad example to be honest because all the people who fantasized about a different iPadOS bought the illusion of the Marketing Team from Apple. And neither Apple nor leakers have any fault of what some people fantasized about the new iPads, because the iPad is going to keep being an iPad, a category on it’s own.

People can fantasize as much as they want, the repeated leaks from insiders about iPhone 13 mini are not fantasies.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125 and taneff

macguy2021

Suspended
Jun 2, 2021
That impossible scenario will probably happen, and if you still have that account, I will quote you in 3 months (If I remember to do it, which I doubt lol).

Look, this is not against you, it is just we have a different view, and I’m going to try to point where I think you may be wrong: You say:

· Apple in 2020: We’re releasing the 12 mini and, if it sells well, we continue in 2021 with the 13 mini. We’ll take that decision... in early 2021, mere months before the release of the next iPhone

· Apple in 2021: Oops, iPhone 12 mini sold millions, but not as much as the bigger iPhones, so this plant/facility we made for the mini, and all the screens we have bought/arranged for the 13 mini, we’re going to tell the suppliers and the supply chain that they can keep them, that we’re not going to manufacture it. We’ll have to pay them anyways, but we’re canceling all this few months before the release.

Sort of. And several users, me included, are trying to explain to you that Apple doesn’t work this way, at least with yearly products like iPhones. We know there will be a 5.4” iPhone, two 6.1” iPhones and one 6.7” in 2020 AND in 2021 since 2018. And we know for at least a year, that there will be a different lineup for 2022 and probably 2023, with two 6.1” and two 6.7”, because those are planned years ahead, as well.

It wouldn't be quoting me in 3 months. It would be quoting me in 1 year and 3 months. My "impossible scenario" would be not this year but what happens the following year. You can quote me in 3 months about the 13 Mini that I strongly feel won't happen. I won't say it's impossible. I would bet it won't but not my life savings. What I'm saying is truly 100 percent impossible is what they do in 2022. That is what I'm saying. But there is a qualifier that the 13 sells well. If it's another year of lackluster sales and performance, then I think they would discontinue it. But if it does well? 14 Mini!

What I'm saying for sure won't happen and is impossible:

iPhone 13 Mini is released with better battery life and sells well

and

iPhone 14 Mini doesn't get released after a year of great sales of the improved 13 Mini, it doesn't matter it's still D/Ced.

That cannot happen. It doesn't make sense. I don't care about planning. You have to live in the moment.

You have only two choices in my mind that are mentally and fiscally sound:

The iPhone Mini line is discontinued and no new Mini is released in 2021 (what I anticipate)
iPhone 13 Mini does actually happen and they continue the product for the forseeable future as long as it sells

I don't care if things are planned out that far in advance, they cannot on paper release an improved version of a phone, it sell well due to said improvements, and still decide not to do another. If it does well they will make another one. That would be like McDonalds getting rid of the Big Mac. Yeah, everything is going so well, what can we do to ruin it?! Yeah lets find a way to take something really popular and just stop making it. That will surely be good for business haha.

While rough sketches of the iPhones might be years in advance, it is subject to change. It makes no good fiscal sense to release a product, it does well, and you still decide to discontinue the model entirely with no 1:1 replacement.

I don't doubt iPhones are thought of in advance, but it isn't like they are held to that. If they are, they would always be playing catch up and making terrible fiscal decisions. Apple doesn't do either. I do think planning is good and most of the time they will follow through, but you have to be able to adapt or turn on a dime. Apple is on the forefront of technology and is more in tune to both what people want and also their bottom line than any other technology company out there. I'm not saying they always give people what they want when they want it, but they know what they want and sometimes even know better as in the case of an entire product being created like the first iPhone or iPad. No one knew they wanted it until Apple made it so. Apple frankly knows better than their customers at times. That's the magic.

I cannot imagine them killing a successful product just because last year they said they would when it wasn't performing well even though it all changed this year and it's selling great. They cannot be that firm on things. It would mean always being being the 8 ball. Always playing catch up to Android phones or Samsung or anyone else. They don't.

A good tech company is like silly putty. Flexible and pliable and welling to bend and mold again and again and not be like cement or clay and firm up after the initial design is made. Tech is too fast paced to be firm or conservative. You have to take big risks and swing for the fences on the regular. "Playing it safe" and tech business is like oil and water really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

tlab

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
If apple does discontinue the mini series it will be a real head scratcher for me. Apple sells way more 12 minis than MacBook Pros (or even all Macs put together!), but nobody’s suggesting Apple will do away with the MBP product line.

It seems mad to me that they’d discontinue a highly successful (by the standards of, well, every single other phone manufacturer in the world that doesn’t rhyme with ‘dapple’) product line which must be highly profitable on the margins that Apple takes, and that fills a niche that doesn’t exist anywhere else. I also can’t believe nobody at Apple can see that the sales of the 2020 SE between March and September 2020 must have cannibalised a chunk of (more profitable?) mini sales to people who’ve been craving a smaller phone ever since the original SE was discontinued but were overdue for an upgrade. That combined with the double whammy of COVID restrictions (a) reducing the demand for a smaller more portable device for many people, and (b) preventing people from trying it out in store (and realising that it’s actually a perfect size and not excessively ‘mini’) makes sales performance of the 12 mini highly suspect as a predictor of future performance of a 13 or 14 mini.

Apple is big enough and competent enough to make 5 different kinds of iPads (mini, vanilla, air, Pro 11” and Pro 13”), a couple of Apple TV options, and myriad Mac configurations (MBA, the ‘cheaper’ MBP13, the ‘expensive’ MBP13, the MBP16, 2 Mac minis, 2 or 3 iMacs, Mac Pro). What’s the big logistical/financial problem with having 5 models of iPhone instead of 4?

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
That's great to hear, iHorseHead. I love the 12 mini's countenance, but for whatever reason I've always used the least expensive iPhone that gets me by, so it will probably be a while until I get to enjoy one.

De-Googling yourself is liberating – I use Google for the occasional thing, but generally I'm signed out, don't have any first-party Google apps, and use private browser windows and such to contain what I can. I think the company has always had good intentions: they're not as single-mindedly user-last as Facebook seems, but also not as single-mindedly user-first as Apple does, so I've settled on observing their occasional cool achievements from a reasonable distance.
A little OT.

I degoogled a long time ago but needed to create a new account just for YouTube. Which annoys me, I annoy me. I don't wanna use Google anymore at all. It feels so much better to know they have less data from you. Just like with Facebook. I don't use anything from Facebook since forever. Before Facebook bought WhatsApp. Since then nothing. But they still have my phone number etc. because almost all friends and family use WhatsApp, a European thing. Even iPhone users use WA 100% of the time and not iMessage which is integrated and even turned on. Whatever...
Google is a whole different story though. I live in Europe, not in UK though. It was hard to go from Google Maps to Apple Maps which is far inferior to latest Apple Maps in USA and to Google Maps everywhere. But I did it. Apple Maps is nothing compared to Google Maps here, esp. traffic and public transport etc. Then I did choose DuckDuckGo as my main search engine. But this, I could no go through. Because Google is just too convenient. I really get what I want to read and search for in one or two words. With DuckDuckGo you need to exactly write what you want to look for, sometimes 5-10 words to really get what you search for in the first few search results. I went back to Google search engine but still trying to ban Google altogether. But it is hard. Next should be Amazon haha. But this is not possible for me.

Sorry a little OT but maybe distracting from this troll or hater here.

Reactions: Starfia

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
A little OT.

I degoogled a long time ago but needed to create a new account just for YouTube. Which annoys me, I annoy me. I don't wanna use Google anymore at all. It feels so much better to know they have less data from you. Just like with Facebook. I don't use anything from Facebook since forever. Before Facebook bought WhatsApp. Since then nothing. But they still have my phone number etc. because almost all friends and family use WhatsApp, a European thing. Even iPhone users use WA 100% of the time and not iMessage which is integrated and even turned on. Whatever...
Google is a whole different story though. I live in Europe, not in UK though. It was hard to go from Google Maps to Apple Maps which is far inferior to latest Apple Maps in USA and to Google Maps everywhere. But I did it. Apple Maps is nothing compared to Google Maps here, esp. traffic and public transport etc. Then I did choose DuckDuckGo as my main search engine. But this, I could no go through. Because Google is just too convenient. I really get what I want to read and search for in one or two words. With DuckDuckGo you need to exactly write what you want to look for, sometimes 5-10 words to really get what you search for in the first few search results. I went back to Google search engine but still trying to ban Google altogether. But it is hard. Next should be Amazon haha. But this is not possible for me.

Sorry a little OT but maybe distracting from this troll or hater here.
Yeah, I feel you. I dumped Google at the beginning of 2020, DuckDuck go works for me. Apple Maps... I’ve found it to be outdated, I filled some reports about places that no longer exists (bank offices) and they didn’t reply or take my suggestions into account... it’sa bit sad, I really want Apple Maps to be better, and I could help them...

But definitely the elephant in the room here is YouTube. There’s no alternative. No way to log in anonymously. No way to use it without being tracked. I use it logged out (actually I currently don’t have any active Google account), but it’s not the best experience.

If I could scape YouTube I would be out of Googles radar, but it’s difficult.

I deleted my Facebook account two years ago as well, but damn, here in Europe, like you said, everyone uses WhatsApp. Anyways I’ll probably delete my WhatsApp account at some point. For now, I am using it without granting WhatsApp access to my contacts or any other info, because you need to use WhatsApp in some cases (professionals that want you to send them files through WhatsApp, for instance).

Reactions: Starfia and taneff

tlab

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
But definitely the elephant in the room here is YouTube. There’s no alternative. No way to log in anonymously. No way to use it without being tracked. I use it logged out (actually I currently don’t have any active Google account), but it’s not the best experience.
To minimise tracking, use it logged out and in a private safari tab. To log in anonymously, set up a dummy email account (not in your own name) with eg protonmail, and create a pseudonymous Google account linked to it. Not perfect, but that’s as good as anything gets with any form of social media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.