Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moreyc

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Speed of Lion on Old iMac Core 2 Duo

I haven't tested it thoroughly yet but so far it looks really good. I have 3 GB of RAM, I must add.
Same here. Such a great machine.

I have the same configuration. Lion is sluggish compared to SL. My wife and I both have logins and are used to switching without closing down apps. Am looking to get a new iMac since what I have now runs like an underpowered PC. :(

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
You're right, it is sluggish compared to SL. But I DO remember how SL was on the same machine prior to 10.6.4. It was slow, choppy and laggy too. All OSX versions suck in their first instances.

sparcspread

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Six months later, how is Lion performance on iMac5,1 ?

Hi,

I did a search and found this thread. I am thinking of upgrading my iMac 5,1 to Lion. My Mac is a late 2006 Core 2 Duo (iMac5,1) and should be able to run Lion. My questions to those of you on this thread who did upgrade their iMac5,1: how do you feel the performance of Lion is, compared to SL, now that it's been a few months and a few minor versions of Lion? Should I upgrade or consider a new Mac?

Thanks!
-sparcspread

moreyc

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Running Lion on Late 2006 IMac

Back in September I posted, complaining about the sluggishness of my IMac. Well, after 4 months and a couple of upgrades, Lion is much quicker now (3 gigs memory) and I no longer want to ditch my machine.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Hi,

I did a search and found this thread. I am thinking of upgrading my iMac 5,1 to Lion. My Mac is a late 2006 Core 2 Duo (iMac5,1) and should be able to run Lion. My questions to those of you on this thread who did upgrade their iMac5,1: how do you feel the performance of Lion is, compared to SL, now that it's been a few months and a few minor versions of Lion? Should I upgrade or consider a new Mac?

Thanks!
-sparcspread

I've installed Lion on a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro and it works just fine. However I did upgrade the memory to the max (8 GB) so you may want to look at doing that. So you shouldn't have any trouble, other than from certain software vendors who still haven't got the memo that Macs have a brand new operating system. ;)

PhyrePhox

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Thanks!
-sparcspread

Bear in mind, the OP was referring to the beta of Lion that would not install on the iMac5,1. The release version of Lion does install and run on the iMac5,1. As other posters have mentioned, max out the RAM. The iMac5,1 officially supports 3GB; I put in two 2GB sticks in hopes of getting a small performance boost due to interleaving, even though only 3GB is available. The iMac is usable under Lion, only slightly slower than Snow Leopard IMO.

LPhoenix98

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
My iMac is late 2006, 24" with 2.16ghz processor (Core 2 Duo) 2 Gig memory,Mac OS Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) the Nvidia 7300GT 128 MB and installed Lion with ZERO Problems. Runs great but had to tear down to get to graphic card and clean the thermal compound off as it was caked on and not providing any cooling properties. It continued to had pixel artifacts so installed SSD Fan conroller for HDD and and Super disk and kicked them up to 5000 rpm and have had Zero problems since. Will refurb later this year and put the better graphics card and CPU in and try to flash BIOS if possible and replace all fans and do a deep clean. I lucked out and got this for FREE! My friends girlfriend bought it in 2007 refurbed and when she kept getting the graphical artifacts they bought a new one, Yay for ME! But I am astonished this computer is still relevant after all this time. I hope to go to Yosemite after next refurb.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I just installed OSX Lion (10.7.5) on my 17" Late 2006 iMac and it works perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.