Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys.
Been with iOS for a good 6-7 years and am heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem. For the past couple of years I have been waiting for a huge change in the iOS "core UI layout", and no, different app colours, some transparency and a font change aren't what I'm talking about.

I know I am probably asking for too much, but I think iOS is missing the spark it once had. For me, to get a bit of that spark back I would need a completely new appearance/layout for the the home/lock screens. Something really new. Who's with me? :cool:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We've been in since iPhone 4; sure I'm up for a change in appearance but I really want updated functionality. Both would be nice, the latter would be better.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
We've been in since iPhone 4; sure I'm up for a change in appearance but I really want updated functionality. Both would be nice, the latter would be better.
Oh no doubt, added functionality is always needed. Just the UI change would get me excited, which I haven't been for a while now.. fingers crossed?

As far as I have read, there has been no sign or even outspoken demand for a UI change for this WWDC? :)

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why do you need to be impressed? Do you pause as you walk through your kitchen and think, "wow, that's one impressive refrigerator."? We mostly want things that are up to the task and don't require thought.

If you don't like the icons, ask the devs to change them.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why do you need to be impressed? Do you pause as you walk through your kitchen and think, "wow, that's one impressive refrigerator."? We mostly want things that are up to the task and don't require thought.

If you don't like the icons, ask the devs to change them.
With that "if it aint broke dont fix it" mentality, Apple would have never updated the font type in iOS recently. So obviously sometimes change is needed or atleast wanted, even from Apples side.

If I paid a substancial amount for an item for example, a $10000 TV, I would want to have that "wow this is an impressive TV" response, not just from myself but others who see it. Because it would be something industry leading.

Apple considers themself as the industry leader atleast in terms of innovation, and unless I am not running iOS9 on my 6s Plus, then no, i havent had any wow moments in a very long time.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
If I paid a substancial amount for an item for example, a $10000 TV, I would want to have that "wow this is an impressive TV" response, not just from myself but others who see it. Because it would be something industry leading.

Every time you look at it? Even a year down the road? Top of the line is top of the line. The wow factor goes away when the newness wears off.

Changing a font is an almost imperceptible change, not noticed by people who don't hang out on Apple related forums - or even by some of us who do.

What kind of change would you like to see?

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Every time you look at it? Even a year down the road? Top of the line is top of the line. The wow factor goes away when the newness wears off.

Changing a font is an almost imperceptible change, not noticed by people who don't hang out on Apple related forums - or even by some of us who do.

What kind of change would you like to see?
A year down the road like you said, the wow factor would almost definitely wear off. However, I would be able to appreciate it if I was to compare it to my previous TV.. The difference would be night and day.

iOS 7, 8, 9.. A feature here or there, some bug fixes (mostly because of the couple new features introduced annually).. Its all very stale year after year.

Primarily, I would be after a new home screen layout. The grid layout is tried and tested, and works very well, but its been around since alpha 1 ios1.

Smart phones have developed a lot since then, and i mean a lot. Processing power is tens of times more powerful.

Create a more aesthetic design for the home screen using this processing power. Make use of the specs. Sure the battery life would go down, but keep the phones the same thickness as they are now (or are we moving towards 1mm thin?), with the yearly improved battery technology, keeping the battery size the same will mean more battery to play with.

Just my opinion ofcourse, what do you think?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
My suggestion is to get one of the cheap Android devices and try it for a while, not use it full time but just to see what could be improved on iOS. I bought a Blu one that was 100$ and it was as snappy as my current iPhone 5S with a larger screen and more RAM.

I like what Android is doing with its notifications and intents, the apps do feel more productive but I kept going back to iOS because of the consistency in its UI, I'm just used to iOS.

However, the thing is, I can't think of anything that I want right now that iOS doesn't have.

So since I don't know what I want from iOS, it becomes boring to me because it does everything I need it to do.

That's not the reality 3-5 years ago, when mobile devices were still young with a lot of things happening and it was missing some stuff I wanted to see like extensions in Safari.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I really wouldn't expect too much in the way of change. Change for the sake of change isn't typically a good thing.

The more I see Apple bend to the will of their customers the more I see their products become more dismissible and 'meh'. Personally I feel iOS is becoming a mess as they try to shoe horn Android-esk features into it.

Now I'm not talking about the OP but I feel like I see "iOS need to get XXX Android feature or I'm leaving..." quite often. There is an obvious and fundamental flaw there....iOS isn't Android and if Android has what you want/need you should go there.

I think the change you want is what is actually turning me off to iOS anymore.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
iOS is a mature operating system now. It's not going to change as rapidly as it has in the past. Also Apple doesn't change things just to make them look different, they do it to make things better. The I OS 7 redesign wasn't just to make things look different... They switched to vector based graphics so that they could evolve things into a specific direction... It's mostly to make things scalable for newer more capable devices like iPads pros.... Now if there's something visual that can enhance the experience, Apple probably will change it eventually... But they are not going to give iOS a complete redesign every year just to make it look totally different. It will probably give certain things like the dock and icons updates from time to time. They may even add a dark mode... But don't expect a total redesign, because you will be disappointed. While Mac OS has received a lot of visual enhancements it hasn't received a total redesign in a long time.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
It does impress me...as all new bugs and lost functionality appears.
Beyond changing it I am more expectant of a Home Automation solution from Apple, and them fixing all known bugs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi Guys.
Been with iOS for a good 6-7 years and am heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem. For the past couple of years I have been waiting for a huge change in the iOS "core UI layout", and no, different app colours, some transparency and a font change aren't what I'm talking about.

I know I am probably asking for too much, but I think iOS is missing the spark it once had. For me, to get a bit of that spark back I would need a completely new appearance/layout for the the home/lock screens. Something really new. Who's with me? :cool:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_seven-year_itch

Reactions: Jayderek

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
All you want is a new home screen layout? Even desktop computers, both Mac and Windows use the same grid layout. I'd call that a non-issue.

A year down the road like you said, the wow factor would almost definitely wear off. However, I would be able to appreciate it if I was to compare it to my previous TV.. The difference would be night and day.

iOS 7, 8, 9.. A feature here or there, some bug fixes (mostly because of the couple new features introduced annually).. Its all very stale year after year.

Primarily, I would be after a new home screen layout. The grid layout is tried and tested, and works very well, but its been around since alpha 1 ios1.

Smart phones have developed a lot since then, and i mean a lot. Processing power is tens of times more powerful.

Create a more aesthetic design for the home screen using this processing power. Make use of the specs. Sure the battery life would go down, but keep the phones the same thickness as they are now (or are we moving towards 1mm thin?), with the yearly improved battery technology, keeping the battery size the same will mean more battery to play with.

Just my opinion ofcourse, what do you think?

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The only thing I want in iOS 10 is a dark mode, anything else do the job for me, I don't think I need anything else execpt minor things here and there.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I think the iOS environment is more a thing that has to be transparent rather than having a WOW factor, and so far it is doing a great work at that, I would not say boring but rather dependable, easy to use and it does pretty much what you expect it to do.

Sometimes being easy is considered as boring, for me it is more a pro than a cons, I get things done faster and easier!

Would I like a refresh? sure if it improves on that , but not for the sake of not being bored.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The question should be, why do you insist on replying in threads with such irrelevant and condescending nonsense?
I'm talking about iOS and my hopes for its future, on an Apple forum. How is that irrelevant?
[doublepost=1465819121][/doublepost]
You started a thread about your first world boredom with a user interface. And. I. Clicked. On. It.
Any person who owns an iPhone and has an issue with it has a first world problem, we are lucky enough to be living in First world countries. Most Third world countries don't own iPhones, let alone eagerly anticipate iOS Updates. Please settle down with the harassment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.