Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I used to run Linux prior to buying my Mac mini (Late 2014) and I'm seeing a lot of similarities between Linux and macOS. Many years ago I dumped Microsoft Windows and installed Debian GNU/Linux. During my time with Linux I did a lot of distro-hopping and learned how to build my own computers from parts. I also became intimately familiar with Linux software and learned to write my own apps in python. I seem to be missing xclock, though.

• I'm finding that many of the command line apps I used on Linux are also there in macOS. Is macOS based on Linux?
  • I was able to replicate the macOS desktop in many Linux distros using apps like Cairo Dock and menubar add-ons because I really liked the look of OS X Mountain Lion back in the day. Is the macOS desktop based on gnome 2.x or something similar?

Maybe I'm just crazy but I'm seeing a lot of similarities.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I used to run Linux prior to buying my Mac mini (Late 2014) and I'm seeing a lot of similarities between Linux and macOS. Many years ago I dumped Microsoft Windows and installed Debian GNU/Linux. During my time with Linux I did a lot of distro-hopping and learned how to build my own computers from parts. I also became intimately familiar with Linux software and learned to write my own apps in python. I seem to be missing xclock, though.

• I'm finding that many of the command line apps I used on Linux are also there in macOS. Is macOS based on Linux?
  • I was able to replicate the macOS desktop in many Linux distros using apps like Cairo Dock and menubar add-ons because I really liked the look of OS X Mountain Lion back in the day. Is the macOS desktop based on gnome 2.x or something similar?

Maybe I'm just crazy but I'm seeing a lot of similarities.
MacOS is based on BSD UNIX, not Linux. The desktop environment is not based on Gnome or any other Linux desktop environment.
This is a reasonable place to start reading: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
MacOS is also POSIX compliant. This means that its command-line utilities, shells, and programming APIs will adhere to the published POSIX standard. Any other OS that's also POSIX compliant will necessarily be similar or identical to macOS at the command-line or API level. The main reason behind POSIX is cross-platform compliance to a published standard, in contrast to being derivatives from a common base.

Reactions: !!! and revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
MacOS is also POSIX compliant. This means that its command-line utilities, shells, and programming APIs will adhere to the published POSIX standard. Any other OS that's also POSIX compliant will necessarily be similar or identical to macOS at the command-line or API level. The main reason behind POSIX is cross-platform compliance to a published standard, in contrast to being derivatives from a common base.
That explains what I'm seeing. Well, I'm glad it's POSIX compliant.. that means that some of my Linux command line skills will transfer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.