Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
a couple months ago I had a dark spot show up on my screen that Google fixed in warranty. A similar spot came back this week so I took it by ubreakfixit and they are putting a new screen on today. As soon as I get it back Im going to list it for sale on Facebook, what phone should I get that has a comparable camera? The camera is my top priority with battery second. I am open to any brand including iPhone and looking to buy used to save money.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
The 7 Pro. You might want to check Google's trade in price. They are also discounting both 7 series phones during the Holidays.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
They are only offer 150
That is a pretty good discount for a practically just released device.

Have you checked the trade in value for your Pixel 6 Pro?

If you sell the 6 Pro you should get around $4-500 for it I am guessing then you need to pay $3-400 for the new phone. Cheaper than the 6a when not on sale.

I just got the 7 Pro and it is very nice. If battery and camera are your top priority then you really only have 2 or 3 choices. Top 2 would be the iPhone 14 Pro Max or Pixel 7 Pro and the third would be the soon to be released Samsung Galaxy s23 ultra. The Samsung will have the best camera hardware but okay image processing. It will cost the most depending on config. The iPhone 14 Pro Max would probably cost a little less have a better processor and longer support but it is esim only if that matters to you.

In terms of cost the 7 Pro is a steal compared to either other devices I mentioned. Battery life on the the iPhone might just slightly edge out the other two and the Pixel 7 Pro would probably be second.

So if Camera and battery life are the only considerations then I would probably lean iPhone but if cost, exclusive phone features, speech to text, clean Android then the 7 Pro is hard to beat.

The Pixel 7 Pro is really close in battery life to my iphone 13 pro max. The Pro max used to be a 3 day phone until iOS 16. Now it is a 2 to 2 1/2 day phone depending on use. The Pixel 7 Pro is a 2 day phone on heavy use and probably 2 1/2 on regular use. The cameras are really close to iPhone. But preference is subjective.

If I had a budget the Pixel 7 Pro for $749 is a steal right now. It costs less than the regular S22 when released and it is only a couple months old.

BTW the screen is great, the performance despite all the criticism of the Tensor G2 is great, battery life is great, basically in all areas it is a really good phone.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I meant they only offered 150 for m Pixel pro 256 gig on trade…gtfo Google

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
That is crazy. Most people that I have read about on various forms got a lot more for their pixel 6 Pro.

That is odd? Yeah, I would definitely sell it private party.

Did you disclose damage or poor condition?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
That is low but the best time to trade in a Pixel phone is when Google launches the new lineup. The highest trade in value is when preorders start. Google gave me $300 for my Pixel 4a which was 2 yrs old and cost me $349.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
That is low but the best time to trade in a Pixel phone is when Google launches the new lineup. The highest trade in value is when preorders start. Google gave me $300 for my Pixel 4a which was 2 yrs old and cost me $349.
Good to know. Guess when the 8 comes out I will trade my 7 Pro on pre order.

It seems like they tweak the values depending on a sale or pre order. So if you wait for the sale your value goes down accordingly.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
That is crazy. Most people that I have read about on various forms got a lot more for their pixel 6 Pro.

That is odd? Yeah, I would definitely sell it private party.

Did you disclose damage or poor condition?
No it is fixed by ubreakfixit which is who Google uses if you don't send it in so it is official

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
No it is fixed by ubreakfixit which is who Google uses if you don't send it in so it is official
Well the Google value for trade is certainly laughable. I am sorry. That sucks.

If I were you I would just sell on the private market where you will get considerably more.

Maybe this has soured you on Google devices. In that case I would wait for the s23 ultra or see if you can get a deal on the S22 ultra.

The only thing with the S22 is the 8 gen 1 processor. Don't believe all the hype that it sucks as it is a good processor but the 8 gen 2 is going to be a lot faster and more efficient so since you care about battery life I would wait for it or just bite the bullet and get the 7 Pro. The 7 Pro in my experience has one of the best batteries of any Android phone I have used while still being very responsive. Sure it could be like my iphone 13 pro max used to be before iOS 16 but it is still really good and now is about the same as the 13 pro max. I can't speak for the 14 because I don't have one.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
It doesn't sour me on Google devices, I have had almost every Pixel and I had the S22 Ultra previous to this and like the Pixel better but did like the S22 Ultra as well

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
If you check the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro thread, trade in prices were discussed. I could have got $400 for my Pixel 4a 5G and the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro were even higher, $500-600 towards the 7 Pro. Check that thread because people were posting what they got in trade. Plus they add $200 store credit if you bought a 7 Pro.

So I basically got $500 towards the purchase of my 7 Pro by trading in my Pixel 4a.

Google this year got really aggressive and generous with trade in values and it appears they are finally taking their phones very seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.