Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edmundovic

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
All, I'm sticking with my iPhone 8 plus. We (the big international we) will have masks for at least three more years. 13 has nothing more but for high-end users. You go!... Bloomberg says weakest upgrade yet. Nothing wrong with face ID, but c'mon. The world has changed. We need a phone adapted to our times. Tell me.
Use Apple Watch with any iPhone that has Face ID and no need for Touch ID. I switched from IP7+ (with Touch ID) to iPhone 11 and every time I am with my mask on my Apple Watch is unlocking my phone. Problem solved. Do I miss Touch ID? Maybe first few days. Now it feels strange to put my finger on iPad (when I am without watch) Touch ID to unlock it. So try it yourself. The only thing that I am missing from IP7+ is screen size as IP11 is smaller so next one will have to be pro max. Good luck

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’d also prefer a Touch ID phone to a Face ID phone if a suitable one was available, and not just because of the pandemic. I will be upgrading my 8 plus though as I think the increments have built up enough that the positives outweigh the main negative (compromising on Face ID) with the 13.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
All, I'm sticking with my iPhone 8 plus. We (the big international we) will have masks for at least three more years. 13 has nothing more but for high-end users. You go!... Bloomberg says weakest upgrade yet. Nothing wrong with face ID, but c'mon. The world has changed. We need a phone adapted to our times. Tell me.
nobody asked...so why this topic? this should on the ordering iphone 13 topic at least. if everyone of this forum member came here to post why im sticking or why im changing/updating...then we've got a flood of kind of useless, no information topics

SicTransitGloriaMundi

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
am wearing mask, no prob with unlocking thanks to my watch.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
I think you stick with your iPhone 8 because you can not afford a new phone.
Not judging you but at least be honest.
Please dont think that everyone in world prefers to some models just because its inexpensive. I myself had XS max for 1 year and then went back to 8 plus for two reasons
i) The screen real estate on 8 plus is much better than that off XS max even though the screen size is more in XS max. The aspect ratio on 8 plus is 16:9 which is perfect for browsing , XS max seems narrower
ii) That notch on xs max is something that i cant accept (though i used XS max for 1 year, got a nice resale value so bought a 8 plus . since then using it)

i would be ready to pay to even 1500$ if apple removes the notch :D

Reactions: JUCJ85

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
You base your purchases off advice from Bloomberg? If you don't want to upgrade don't, its the first issue im concerned about.

moulderine

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2019
Same boat!

I am ready to upgrade to a new model, but i refuse till to touchid is back. I can't believe the ipads got it back but iphone does not. I don't understand why there has been the fingerprint under the screen rumours, when they could just add it to the iphones power button also. Who cares how its implemented as long as it is.

I refuse to have to deal with faceid and the idea of paying apple more money via the apple watch to solve, is simply asinine.

moulderine

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2019
Same boat!

I am ready to upgrade from my iphone 8 to a new model, but i refuse till to touchid is back. I can't believe the ipads got it back but iphone does not. I don't understand why there has been the fingerprint under the screen rumours, when they could just add it to the iphones power button also. Who cares how its implemented as long as it is.

I refuse to have to deal with faceid in this situation. And the idea of paying apple more money via the apple watch to solve, is assanine.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
I'm upgrading from an iPhone 7 because its old and cracked. Generally gets really hot and struggles with CarPlay. Also, I have problems with my fingers so touch ID is very unreliable, can't wait to try out face ID instead. Don't really ever have to wear a mask at the moment (UK), so that should be a non-issue.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
If you want to upgrade from the 8 but still retain TouchId, you may want to look at the new SE. Crappy battery aside (but it's the same as the one in the 8, so you won't really lose anything), it's a great phone. I love it.

makroomerz

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2021
I'm in the same boat as you, OP. The 8 plus is a great phone-- I could do with better camera quality and better battery life, but my phone still feels pretty springy and 5g has still not reached critical mass where I live. I have not been excited by the X, 11, or 12, and the 13 looks like another notch in that generation, so I'm pretty comfortable waiting one more year.

If the rumors about the 14 are to be believed, we have a huge amount to look forward to next year between having no notch, possible under-display Touch ID, and a return to an iphone 4-esque form factor. It's looking like a much bigger leap from the 13 to the 14 than from the 12 to the 13.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Same boat!

I am ready to upgrade to a new model, but i refuse till to touchid is back. I can't believe the ipads got it back but iphone does not. I don't understand why there has been the fingerprint under the screen rumours, when they could just add it to the iphones power button also. Who cares how its implemented as long as it is.

I refuse to have to deal with faceid and the idea of paying apple more money via the apple watch to solve, is simply asinine.

Have to deal with? What do you mean?

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I am sticking with my 8+ simply because I like it and it does everything I want from it. Also it costs me less than going for something newer to do those same things. I’ll swap it for something newer when/if it starts giving me issues. I have nothing against the newer devices, but I have no good justification to switch up.

Reactions: ActionFigures

ohaishawnn

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hate to break it to you, but I don’t think we’re ever getting Touch ID back on the iPhone unless Apple does in-screen finger print. Having it on the lock button like the iPad Air is not realistic since most people use a case on their phone.

Reactions: JUCJ85

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Please dont think that everyone in world prefers to some models just because its inexpensive. I myself had XS max for 1 year and then went back to 8 plus for two reasons
i) The screen real estate on 8 plus is much better than that off XS max even though the screen size is more in XS max. The aspect ratio on 8 plus is 16:9 which is perfect for browsing , XS max seems narrower
ii) That notch on xs max is something that i cant accept (though i used XS max for 1 year, got a nice resale value so bought a 8 plus . since then using it)

i would be ready to pay to even 1500$ if apple removes the notch :D
For me, I've had my XS Max since launch, I don't really have an issue with the notch, doesn't bother me, the only reason I haven't upgraded since 2018 is no 1TB, I have the 512GB XS Max, so I will be ordering the 13 Pro Max 1TB in Graphite in about 45 mins.
Hate to break it to you, but I don’t think we’re ever getting Touch ID back on the iPhone unless Apple does in-screen finger print. Having it on the lock button like the iPad Air is not realistic since most people use a case on their phone.
I honestly don't even care about touch ID, and yes most people will use a case, I'm not going without a case or glass screen protector on a $1600+ iPhone, even with AppleCare+, if you want to see the back, just get a clear case, for me, I just ordered a regular case for now, until I can get my 49ers themed one when they have them.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
For me, the facemask issue is also something that will make me wonder whether I should go with the 13 mini, or wait until the next iPhone SE. And no, I don’t own an Apple Watch and it’s not even an option (I prefer wearing bands, less bulk).

There were many rumors about this new Face ID having an improved recognition even wearing masks. We had a second generation Touch ID after some iterations. Why Face ID hasn’t had any real improvement in facial recognition? On angle, low light, with reflections, a faster recognition -Face ID is already fast-... It’s weird that, after 4 full years since the introduction of Face ID we only had.. a different array, but no improvements.

I think this was definitely the year to do something about the facemask issue. Wether bringing back Touch ID, or improving Face ID like some rumors said. Also the A15 has a greatly improved neural engine, much faster than the A14. I don’t understand why we have to keep using a passcode, and I hope Apple enables this improved Face ID with an update later this year. Otherwise, I’ll be waiting for the next SE.

Not judging would have been asking, not opining.

Also, not owning the latest does not directly equate to affordability issues. Usually, it is more indicative of a sensible, thinking mind.
Thanks for saying that.

Cases can have a cut for the side button, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. It’s a perfectly viable solution that some iPads have already adopted.

Mine has actually begun recognizing my face with a mask on.
Please, tell me more about it. That sounds promising.

Reactions: macintoshmac

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
hmmm thats interesting.

I have the iPhone 7plus and if I was ready financially, I'd get the 13 for sure, sooner rather than later. Considering how much society depends on their phones for everyday life- an upgrade from a 7 or 8 would be great any way you slice it. At least it seems that way to me!
A10 Fusion to A11 Bionic

It is an upgrade...

Edit: I misread...

Wait for iPhone SE Plus then?

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I hadn't even considered the Face ID mask issue, and no I've never owned an Apple Watch. Does Face ID really not function correctly while wearing one? That wouldn't be good as there are still situations I'm required to wear one.

CrownIsle

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2014
NY
A10 Fusion to A11 Bionic

It is an upgrade...

Edit: I misread...

Wait for iPhone SE Plus then?

Oh trust me, I love iPhones and upgrading every year is fun- but only when work is going well and you make the choice to splurge on phones rather than some other things throughout the year.

When I can feel a bit more responsible with the action of spending, I'm getting it! :p

Use Apple Watch with any iPhone that has Face ID and no need for Touch ID. I switched from IP7+ (with Touch ID) to iPhone 11 and every time I am with my mask on my Apple Watch is unlocking my phone. Problem solved. Do I miss Touch ID? Maybe first few days. Now it feels strange to put my finger on iPad (when I am without watch) Touch ID to unlock it. So try it yourself. The only thing that I am missing from IP7+ is screen size as IP11 is smaller so next one will have to be pro max. Good luck

Wait. The iPhone 11 screen is larger than the 7plus, no??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.