Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Everyone here can make laugh if you want, but I'm still on 12.4 on my Iphone XS. It runs awesome and I've been afraid to update it. (WHen I ask people at apple or At&T I will hear complete opposite answers like "Don't update it now, it's going to run super super slow on the new software!", or I hear "Yes, update it, it will run quicker!"

I never liked updating because there is always a new issue. I'm a power user and am on this phone 8 hours a day for work stuff. The issue now is, some apps won't run anymore. I hate how apple basically forces you to upgrade. I wanted some opinions from the power users here. Maybe I should make a new post, but wanted to post here first.

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Well, if apps don’t work anymore, there isn’t much you can do than updating . Or you can use a smartphone without apps. Up to you

Reactions: kitKAC

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I'm just curious how it would run? But what if it makes it so slow it's not usable.

Last edited:

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
My brother had iOS 17 on his xs , it run smoothly , similar to 16. It might be a bit slower than your current software but there are not many things you can do anyway.

Reactions: kitKAC

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I appreciate the reply. Now I just need to figure out what to do. I guess no one jb's anymore either

Reactions: Kyriakosss4

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Everyone here can make laugh if you want, but I'm still on 12.4 on my Iphone XS. It runs awesome and I've been afraid to update it. (WHen I ask people at apple or At&T I will hear complete opposite answers like "Don't update it now, it's going to run super super slow on the new software!", or I hear "Yes, update it, it will run quicker!"

I never liked updating because there is always a new issue. I'm a power user and am on this phone 8 hours a day for work stuff. The issue now is, some apps won't run anymore. I hate how apple basically forces you to upgrade. I wanted some opinions from the power users here. Maybe I should make a new post, but wanted to post here first.

Ok big update here. I finally broke down and got a Iphone 15 pro with 17.4 ios on it. Even though I replaced my battery with an extended battery many months ago (made the phone last forever) more and more apps started breaking on that old firmware and I couldn't update them on that old ios. The phone ran great but I didn't want to slow it down with updating the ios. Again, I was scared to update that old phone thinking it would super slow it down.

The new 15 pro is blazing fast and is working good. I restored from an Itunes backup from the Xs still on 12.4. The backup took 7 hours, 512 gig XS that only had 40 mb of free space lol. THe new phone has USB C so when I did the restore to the new phone I thought it would do it much much faster since usb C on the iphone 15 is supposed to be super fast. The restore took close to 6 hours. I'm guessing maybe due to the fact there are a ridiculous amount of photos. If anyone is stuck on a phone with an older ios and doesn't want to update the phone in fear that it may cripple it etc, I can tell you this 15 pro is freaking fast as hell.

One other small annoyance on the 15 pro with 17.4. I'm not sure if this was a feature change or not, again, I came from 12.4 beta firmware.

In text messages, say someone texted you today, and you went in and deleted the individual text from them, (this would move the conversation back down your list to say yesterday or the last time they texted you, and that message wouldn't show up at the top of your screen still) Now with ios 17.4, if you delete say all the texts someone sent you today, their message thread still says up at the same spot from the original time stamp that was sent to you. It doesn't know to put that message down in your list further after you delete the single messages. I don't know when that changed? or if it's a bug in the new ios.

Or say you send a new text today to someone that that haven't texted in a few days ago... If you delete your own message that you just sent them after you send it, it still has their message thread at the TOP of your phone, it doesn't push it back to a few days later where it should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.