Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bunny Drawz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
I know, I know I'm a stupid child but I need advise...

I had IOS 10.3.3 on my IPhone (I know…) but then I got this STUPID tekst sying it was from my bank. Before I realised it was a scam I clicked the link. It didn't redirest me to some site or something just said "oops" and the link never opend (I think). I got scared and started updating my IOS emediatly because I heard the secrurity is better on the newwer version. once it's done I'm changing my paswords for my apple ID and all that. I wasn't linked with my bank account or something like that (didn't even have a dollar on my apple ID) but I'm still worried.

What can I do to make shure it'll be fine if it turned out something did happen when I clicked that link? Is there something else that will help me?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since the link was seemingly dead, you're risk level is relatively low. Its good to remain current with the version of iOS just for the reasons you stated (security). Changing your passwords using the known URL (not from any text) is also a good move

Overall, I think you're ok, in that sense, and the only other piece of advice is not to reuse the same password for your sites but use different ones.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I’ll second maflynn’s post. He’s right. Now if you had clicked that link and put in your username/password and you didn’t have 2FA with your bank then I’d say there would be reason to worry. And yes, having the latest iOS equates to having the latest and greatest security.

Make sure you’re using a password manager so that every password you have is unique - and enable 2 factor authentication on everything you can.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.