Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angieutc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I love my Android. I love it. However, due to iMessage I have to let it go. I;ve tried everything, but the video compression is horrid. Group texting - forget it and the way AT&T RCS is sad. I use Google Messages and it just can't compete.

Please don't judge me too bad. Is there anyone here who loved EVERYTHING about their Android other than the messaging and missing iMessage? My friend went to the John Mayer concert the other night and the videos were terrible. She is IOS.

Are there any solutions other than telling family and friends to use something else?

Sad.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I love my Android. I love it. However, due to iMessage I have to let it go. I;ve tried everything, but the video compression is horrid. Group texting - forget it and the way AT&T RCS is sad. I use Google Messages and it just can't compete.

Please don't judge me too bad. Is there anyone here who loved EVERYTHING about their Android other than the messaging and missing iMessage? My friend went to the John Mayer concert the other night and the videos were terrible. She is IOS.

Are there any solutions other than telling family and friends to use something else?

Sad.
I guess that’s why Apple is insistent in keeping iMessage locked in Apple only devices.

There’s no solutions other than telling your family and friends to use other services.

There’s bluebubbles, but that requires you to set up a Mac as a server to push the iMessage to your Android.

Reactions: angieutc

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It is the way Apple locks in it's customers and keeps them from leaving. It is purposely done by Apple because if they wanted to they could open up iMessage tomorrow.

For that reason alone I choose to live with the inconvenience but I completely understand your frustrations.

I generally have people email me a video or use Google drive. Google drive works best for larger files and videos. You can even send your friends and family a link.

But if they just want to text you because it is easier for them there really isn't anything you can do about it.

As the previous poster said Sunbird should be an application that will fix this and you won't have to install a server on your Mac.

At the end of the day you have to use what works best for you. I certainly won't judge you over your personal choice of phone and think it is pretty petty if someone does.

• Love
Reactions: angieutc

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021

Sad.
Yeah North America needs to move to 3rd party, cross platform messaging apps
It would make it easier for me switch back and forth between iOS and Android whenver I feel like it

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Sunbird should be out this summer. Sign up for the wait-list and go back to iMessage for a couple months, but keep that Android handy. Exciting stuff on the horizon

I hadn't heard of this.

How exactly are they managing to achieve this and what prevents Apple blocking it?
I can't see anything that explains this in their FAQ.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I hadn't heard of this.

How exactly are they managing to achieve this what prevents Apple blocking it?
I can't see anything that explains this in their FAQ.
I read about it awhile back... I think TheVerge did an article about it in the past.

IMO, what prevents Apple from blocking it is because they are not asking for any compensation. It's free! I think if they were trying to make a profit off this app... then Apple will step in.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
IMO, what prevents Apple from blocking it is because they are not asking for any compensation. It's free! I think if they were trying to make a profit off this app... then Apple will step in.

But if it becomes popular, Apple will sell less iPhones (we know some people buy iPhones simply because Android doesn't have iMessage). They won't be happy about that prospect.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
But if it becomes popular, Apple will sell less iPhones (we know some people buy iPhones simply because Android doesn't have iMessage). They won't be happy about that prospect.

Let’s face it, if Apple want to block it they’ll find a way, whether the app is free or not.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's a good point. But there's AirMessage and BlueBubbles that haven't had any pushback from Apple... granted you need access to a Mac in order to make the process work. However, it still helps in placing iMessage on Android phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.