Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZirusBlackheart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Hay all :)

Im using mountain lion and want to upgrade to either mavericks or yosemite but the only damned option in the app store is el captain as i haven't updated from mountain lion since having it :-/

Any idea?

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Unless you have downloaded Mavericks or Yosemite on App Store before, there is no way to get it.

However, if you have a friend who did, ask him or her to download it. Then you can make a bootable USB installer

ZirusBlackheart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Unless you have downloaded Mavericks or Yosemite on App Store before, there is no way to get it.

However, if you have a friend who did, ask him or her to download it. Then you can make a bootable USB installer
Will that just allow me to change the OS and nothing else? and allow me to stay connected to the App Store etc with my Apple ID?

Cheers :)

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Will that just allow me to change the OS and nothing else? and allow me to stay connected to the App Store etc with my Apple ID?

Cheers :)

If you upgrade, certain things such as settings, configurations, etc might change. For example, iPhoto is now replaced with Photos, which has vastly different interfaces and features.

I've never done OS upgrade, so I really don't have definitive answer for you. However, all your files (music, pictures, documents, Safari bookmarks, etc) will remain untouched. However, just in case, back up your Mac before upgrading.

And yes, you can use the same Apple ID for everything (App Store, iCloud sync, etc).

Reactions: ZirusBlackheart

ZirusBlackheart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
i havent had any luck managing to do this :-(

It just says that it cannot be insatalled on this mac :-(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
i havent had any luck managing to do this :-(

It just says that it cannot be insatalled on this mac :-(
Can you tell us what exactly you are trying to install, and on which Mac?
If you have either a Mavericks, or Yosemite install - Where did you get that version?

If you only have an updater for one of those versions, then that would explain why you can't install it.
You have to install the full system first, before you can install any updates.
For example, the 10.9.5 combined updater will NOT install on a 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) boot drive.
You would need the full install for 10.9 first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.