Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Don't recall this problem in Mint 21.1, so will revert and try, then try MX Linux if it fails.
Anyone else noticed this?

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Reverted to 21.1, still a problem. Change altogether to MX Linux, same. Antix - it works!
But why?
Mint worked perfectly until about 2 weeks ago, so this has me stumped.

bigmike1954

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
Hello, I'm Mike and I recently installed Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 Beta2 on a 2009 iMac10 with an Intel Duo E7600 3.059GHz CPU. Before that, I installed Linux Mint 21.3. I was also experiencing the same problem with loosing the desktop cursor after about 20 minutes of use. After reading many, many posts of possible options to correct this problem, I ended up doing the following and so far it has been working. In the settings menu, I disabled the touch pad settings. Since this is a desktop, why would it need to be enabled. Next, I totally removed 2 apps from the Synaptic Package Manager, 1. intel-microcode i.e. Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs. 2. iucode-tool i.e. Intel Processor microcode tool. Once this was done, I rebooted. I can't tell you why being a newbie with iMacs and Linux but, it works. I hope it will work for you. Mike

Reactions: DCBassman

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Hello, I'm Mike and I recently installed Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 Beta2 on a 2009 iMac10 with an Intel Duo E7600 3.059GHz CPU. Before that, I installed Linux Mint 21.3. I was also experiencing the same problem with loosing the desktop cursor after about 20 minutes of use. After reading many, many posts of possible options to correct this problem, I ended up doing the following and so far it has been working. In the settings menu, I disabled the touch pad settings. Since this is a desktop, why would it need to be enabled. Next, I totally removed 2 apps from the Synaptic Package Manager, 1. intel-microcode i.e. Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs. 2. iucode-tool i.e. Intel Processor microcode tool. Once this was done, I rebooted. I can't tell you why being a newbie with iMacs and Linux but, it works. I hope it will work for you. Mike

Thanks Mike, will give that a go when back on Mint. Like you, I looked extensively, but didn't happen acthat particular solution.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I've been using MX 23.1 for weeks now without that issue..though running from a 32 GB USB stick...on an iMac 10,1
Solved the issue of getting the fans working faster using mbpfan..so the GPU remains less than 60C..when watching YouTube movies..with slight fan noise.

Reactions: DCBassman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.