Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Borteck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2024
Hi Folks,
My iMac stopped working after changing the HDD to a new SSD. Reversing back to HDD doesn't change the problem.

The iMac is a 12.1 model from mid-2011 and when the start button is pressed, I can hear the DVD drive starting, the Apple shime,
the 4 green LEDs on the motherboard are turning on sequentially right to left. And the screen displays a lighted black screen but no Apple logo and then no boot at all. No keyboard classic touch works (R, C, PRAM reset,...)

I've tried another flat video cable : nothing
I've tried a thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter : nothing

Could you help me on this ?
Thanks
Arnie

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Hi Folks,
My iMac stopped working after changing the HDD to a new SSD. Reversing back to HDD doesn't change the problem.

The iMac is a 12.1 model from mid-2011 and when the start button is pressed, I can hear the DVD drive starting, the Apple shime,
the 4 green LEDs on the motherboard are turning on sequentially right to left. And the screen displays a lighted black screen but no Apple logo and then no boot at all. No keyboard classic touch works (R, C, PRAM reset,...)

I've tried another flat video cable : nothing
I've tried a thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter : nothing

Could you help me on this ?
Thanks
Arnie
Dead GPU? :eek:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
My iMac stopped working after changing the HDD to a new SSD.
Double-check all cable connections are seeded, including memory sticks. Still no luck with orig HDD installed, try replacing the PRAM battery.

Borteck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2024
Hi, cables double-checked, RAM double checked. PRAM battery changed but measured slightly under 2.8v.
Sounds like a dead GPU, no other track in mind...

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi, cables double-checked, RAM double checked. PRAM battery changed but measured slightly under 2.8v.
Sounds like a dead GPU, no other track in mind...

If all your data have been saved, then remove the SSD and discard the iMac, unless you want to spend more money on a 12 year old dead computer, of which market value is 100$ or less. (an iMac 2011 21.5" is normally offered for 100$ or less where I live, in working condition)

franklynb

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Milwaukee WI
.... (an iMac 2011 21.5" is normally offered for 100$ or less where I live, in working condition)
+1.

Bought one for $65 two weeks ago, working, no kb or mouse. Milwaukee, for reference. Not hard to find.
{An inexpensive DVD burner with firewire interface, replacing a 2006 Macbook as NAS/iTunes server}.

Borteck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2024
If all your data have been saved, then remove the SSD and discard the iMac, unless you want to spend more money on a 12 year old dead computer, of which market value is 100$ or less. (an iMac 2011 21.5" is normally offered for 100$ or less where I live, in working condition)
I just want to use it as an extra monitor. Do you know a good hack ?

Borteck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2024
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.