Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dovedescent7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
Hello All,

I'm new here. Cool place

A friend gave me his 2011 a1311 mid 2011 Imac to see if i could fix. Apparently he or someone else attempted to repair but failed. In addition i think they broke the connections that the LVDS cable connects into.
So with no video I cloned or rescued (i forget-its been weeks) the old HDD with SSD. Then, once I got video it is all glitchy.

• Where I'm at: I've installed a new LVDS cable but still having symptoms, screen flickering, going black then back on, and other screen tearing etc.
  • I've read that those video connections can break easily on mobo and screen, the gold connectors...
  • I've read this can happen from cloning to SSD (though i have no idea why this has anything to do with video)
  • I've noticed that the Imac cycles with fans on high then off, then back on high again. It keeps cycling this way every 30 sconds. Like full blast fans for 45 seconds, then off, then 45 seconds fans on, then back off. Its like the IMac thinks its overheating...

Seriously please, any help i would be so, so grateful for!

Video of Glitch - UHD 2160p 4k

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello All,

I'm new here. Cool place

A friend gave me his 2011 a1311 mid 2011 Imac to see if i could fix. Apparently he or someone else attempted to repair but failed. In addition i think they broke the connections that the LVDS cable connects into.
So with no video I cloned or rescued (i forget-its been weeks) the old HDD with SSD. Then, once I got video it is all glitchy.

• Where I'm at: I've installed a new LVDS cable but still having symptoms, screen flickering, going black then back on, and other screen tearing etc.
  • I've read that those video connections can break easily on mobo and screen, the gold connectors...
  • I've read this can happen from cloning to SSD (though i have no idea why this has anything to do with video)
  • I've noticed that the Imac cycles with fans on high then off, then back on high again. It keeps cycling this way every 30 sconds. Like full blast fans for 45 seconds, then off, then 45 seconds fans on, then back off. Its like the IMac thinks its overheating...

Seriously please, any help i would be so, so grateful for!

You can closely examine the LVDS slot on the logicboard to detect any abnormalities there.
Provided that you have enough skills and tools for micro-soldering to replace the LVDS slot on the logicboard....

dovedescent7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
So it must be the slot and no i do not have skills for microsoldering.

Would my next step be to get a replacement display and hope that it is the mount on the display side vs the logic board?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.