Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cocopopsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2023
Hello,

I got gifted an iMac 2013 21.5 14,1 8GB and thanks to this forum, I updated the OS with OCLP and added an external SSD : SAMSUNG T7 1000 GB

I realise now that I would need more USB ports... Could I simply swap the cable of the Samsung SSD for a USB-C to Thunderbolt 1 or 2 ? Or I that not working like this ?
Or can I buy a Thunderbolt dock ? (Any suggestions ?)

(Sorry, pls explain me like I'm 5, thank you)

sp667_imac-27inch_late2012_ports-mx.jpg

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The T7 does not support Thunderbolt 2 which is the Thunderbolt version your iMac supports. To add more USB ports, you can connect a USB 3.1 Hub/Dock or a Thunderbolt 2 Hub/Dock. Most Thunderbolt Hubs/Docks on the market right now are Thunderbolt 3/4 and not compatible with your iMac. Thunderbolt 2 is older technology and new Thunderbolt 2 hubs/docks are not cheap so used on eBay, etc would be the way to go. My recommendation is keeping the T7 connected directly to the iMac USB port and purchasing a powered USB 3.1 hub (i.e. one with its own power adapter) to expand the number of USB ports.

Reactions: Cocopopsy

Cocopopsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2023
Amazing, thank you for your answer, I'll go look for a powered USB 3.1 hub ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.