Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woutje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Hello everyone,

I have trouble deciding between the iMac 17 inch and the 20 inch. I need it to do some serious Flash and Photoshop. So what i'm worried about is screen resolution.

Can someone please take a screenshot of Flash and Photoshop opened fullscreen with standard panels on the 17 inch and the 20 inch?

Thanx!

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
eh... ok

well the 20inch is well worth the extra money for your needs - flash actually needs a bit of space and editing photos that are large is good in photoshop

i cant do a screen shot because my imac has been returned and the new one is not coming until next week

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I have seen both imacs side by side and althou the 20" looks better bec of its size i still like the 17" very much. My friend has one and watchs DVD's all the time on it, he also does some photoshop and seems to enjoy it. If you can afford the 20" go for it but the 17" is good aswell.

Woutje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Well yeah, i'll try to get the 20 inch (with some help from my parents), but i'd like to see some screenshots so i can decide if the 17 inch is something i could settle with, just in case the 20 inch is out of my reach.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
best i can do - i hope it helps

Photo_112005_001.jpg

found it on another forum

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Is that the new Intel model on the right??? :eek:

As for your question, Woutje, this quote instantly gave me an answer:

I need it to do some serious Flash and Photoshop. So what i'm worried about is screen resolution.

If you're really doing serious Flash and Photoshop work, then no doubt go for the 20-inch model. I work on a 17-inch PowerBook with a resolution of 1440 x 900 and I am in need of more screen real estate. So I say go for the 20-inch model. Or don't forget the new iMac now supports extended desktop, so you could always add another monitor later on. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I have a 17" Rev. B G5 and my friend got a 20" Rev. C. G5. The 20" are WELL worth it for the screen resolution. It's also a lot quieter when running high CPU use apps. It think it's due to the extra air volume available.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
The money is well spent on the 20" especially for PS. I use Photoshop Elements every now and then and wish sometimes that my iBook and more screen real estate. Plus the LCD in the 20" is brighter and has broader view angles then the 17". You will thank us later if you decide on the 20".

Woutje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Can anybody please take the screenshots i requested? I'm just curious how much bigger the 20 inch is.

Quantum Man

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2006
New York
You could just go to your local Apple store, assuming you have one, and take a gander at the two yourself. ;) It is a pretty sizeable difference though, I myself have the 17" which is fine for what I do, but 20" would always be nice. But I use a second display anyhow, spanned so I have plenty of screen real estate to work with.

Woutje

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
Quantum Man said:
You could just go to your local Apple store
Sorry, no Apple store around these parts. But I'll probably be getting the 20 inch anyway. Still, I'd like to see the difference....If it's possible...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.