Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sterbacblu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Lancaster, PA
So I'm returning to the world of Macs after about a 3 year hiatus and I need some opinions. I see the specs coming up for the iMacs which should hopefully be out/announced in two weeks. I'm very intrested in the 1.25ghz 17in model, however I noticed when doing some configuring (Edu discount) that a low end G5 is only $95 more, even though alas I would have to get a lesser CRT 17in monitor. Now here are the issues I'm focusing on:

1. I'm going to be moving around a lot within the next couple years. Not anything excessive where I need to be portable on a daily basis and require a laptop, but where I'll be moving on average every six months. The fact the the iMac is small and light would be convient.

2. If I do anything excessively 'professional' it will be audio work, editing, creating, etc. Other than that I won't need to push the system so to speak graphically.

3. I'd like the system to last for around three years, and I'm a stickler when it comes to upgrades for the OS, so I'll always be keeping that up to date. Obviously the G5 is going to handle things longer than the G4, but do you think the G4 can make it for the next like 3 years and still run reasonably smooth?

4. I'm not the kind of person that upgrades their system a lot either, just memory really.

So basically I like the compactness of the iMac and its display, but of course the G5 would perform much better, although it is bulkier and the display would not be as good. Do I really need a G5, or is a G4 iMac going to be just fine for me? Again, the most I would be doing is audio editing and creation, other than that, just basic word processing, web surfing, the usual.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Tough choice, but one clarification - the 17"iMac has a 1ghz g4, not a 1.25 g4.

Why not go for a g4 powermac with a 1.25ghz (that's totally expandable) and a 17" display? it works out about the same.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by dswoodley
Tough choice, but one clarification - the 17"iMac has a 1ghz g4, not a 1.25 g4.

Why not go for a g4 powermac with a 1.25ghz (that's totally expandable) and a 17" display? it works out about the same.

he's going based on the rumors of the imac updates.... which isn't always a safe bet. ;)

but, i think you make a good point. one of the g4 towers still available would handle what you want, and then some. while also allowing future expansion if needed (graphics, pci, etc)... and, you could get a nice screen to go with it

another option is get the g5 and cheap monitor, and maybe upgrade the monitor in the not so distant future...

the imac is sweet, but hard for me to rationalize for anything semi professional (besides business type stuff of course).

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
he's going based on the rumors of the imac updates.... which isn't always a safe bet. ;)

...the imac is sweet, but hard for me to rationalize for anything semi professional (besides business type stuff of course).

My apologies! thanks for the clarification of my clarification :)

I agree, i love my 17" iMac, but I am not sure about how well it will be working for me in 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.