Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brenfratica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2018
Hi, I'm hoping for advice and opinions concerning the question as to whether it is advisable to purchase a used iMac (20 inch early 2008) running on OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6. The Mac is coming from a school I work at, Processor 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 800 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM, Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB. My concern is that apparently from Fall 2018, security updates will not be available. Also, I intend to use Adobe Premiere and Photoshop (I have an online licence), and am concerned the latest version may not run on OSX El Cap Version 10.11.6, or certainly not be upgradable for very long. The sale price without a keyboard or mouse is £150. Any and all thoughts, advice, comments very welcome. Many thanks.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
If you’re intending to use it as your primary machine for some time, then no. If it’s a secondary machine, or not used to do terribly secure things on, then perhaps. I have that exact same iMac in my office at school, and it does everything I need it to. Granted, that’s mostly office productivity and grading. If you’re using Adobe CC, then definitely get something that can run the latest MacOS.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Just wanted to give a quick update to this. I recently upgraded the iMac I have in my office at school to High Sierra using the patcher from @dosdude1 and have not had a single issue with it! This should let me get a few more years out of the old fella. With the patches, sound and backlight control all work fine, and I swapped in a new WiFi card.

2.4GHz C2D, 6GB RAM, Radeon 2400 HD XT 128MB, 64GB SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.