Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willem ghys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Hello, I had an old iMac 7.1 (2007) at my work and I wanted to reboot it after a couple of years and I want to give it to my sun, but there are some problems. At First: When I reboot it it gives me a screen with a folder and a question mark in it. But then I tried to enter recovery mode but this didn't work. After that I tried to reboot it holding the 'option'-button but then it asked for a firmware password, which I can't remember. Now I don't know what to do... Is there anyone who knows a solution for this problem? Thank you Very much!!

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You give no history for the almost-12 year old machine, no configuration information. I don't know what's up with the password request, but it sounds like the hard drive is dead. Not surprising after 12 years.

The suggested remedy it to replace the hard drive with an SSD and reinstall the OS X from the original disks. You can then do some upgrades to a max of OS X El Capitan from there. You can do the SSD installation yourself, if you're electronically inclined, or bring it to a repair shop. IF a dead HD is the problem, this will bring it back to life, and it will be usable for basic to medium computing tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.