Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Hi guys, i got a problem. I have an used imac 20" 2008 without hd or original dvd. i'm trying to install an os but i don't know how.
-Windows bootable usb pen doesn't work
-Windows bootable dvd doesn't work
-No recovery in the new ssd, so no hd utility
-Tried to make a bootable snowleopard downloading dmg and burning it with transmac from windows but not booting

i can only use Alt command but nothing appears (only mouse pointer). any solution?
thx from italy ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you still have the 2011 iMac that you posted about previously?
If so, use that iMac to make a bootable installer USB. It's much easier than getting frustrated trying to make something for the Mac on a Windows PC.

In my experience, sometimes Windows works for that, but more often, you get nothing.

I've not had a problem getting a Windows bootable DVD to work, but maybe the optical drive in the 2008 iMac is just not working properly.
The 2008 iMac will be limited to a maximum of El Capitan (OS X 10.11.x). I have made El Capitan installers fairly often (probably 4 or 5 times in the last 6 months), and following the steps for that in Apple's support article works well.
Your 2011 iMac should work perfectly to make the bootable USB El Capitan installer for your 2008 iMac

kazar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
my other imac has a new ssd with windows 10. so it's not able to make a usb bootable penstick. other solutions?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd suggest a 10.6.3 Snow Leopard install DVD.

You want the "universal" version that will install on any Mac.

You may be able to find one on ebay, etc.

Or... see what you can find through "unofficial" download sources.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
my other imac has a new ssd with windows 10. so it's not able to make a usb bootable penstick. other solutions?
You have other options with a 2011 iMac, such as internet recovery.
You can use that to install OS X on that 2011, or install a bootable system on an external drive, where you can also create the bootable USB that you need for the older iMac.
Or, you can connect the two iMacs with a Firewire cable, and boot the older iMac to Target Disk mode, then use the newer iMac to install whatever you like for OS X on the older iMac.
As you can see, the second iMac, being a bit newer, gives you several methods. I have listed only a couple, there are other ways to get a system installed on the older iMac.
And, you can even add another boot drive inside your newer iMac.
Or, you can partition that SSD, and have both OS X, and Windows systems on separate partitions. You can have the "best of both worlds" :cool:

kazar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Finally got solution, downloaded leopard iso and burned usb penstick with etcher (no bootable option needed for mac) . problem solved with windows ?
edit. balena etcher can create usb penstick with leopard 10.5 and snow leopard 10.6 iso. note. Disable ipv6 from airport or imac will keep freezing using wifi (also with ethernet).
-when you are on snow leopard you can use update software to get snowleopard combo update to install appstore but in my case it didn't work.
-Download el capitan 10.11 to upgrade snow leopard(maximum official update). it is also possible to patch Sierra 10.12 to install it but in my imac i will lose wifi cause my wifi adapter is bcm4321 (you need to change adapter)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.