Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halo80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
I need help with my Fall 2009 iMac which sounds like it’s turning on and running but the screen remains black. I can’t remember the last update that I applied but it was probably El Capitan.

Both my wireless keyboard and mouse are blinking at me so they’re probably not synced anymore to it. I have it connected to an external monitor via a mini-Display port cable. Any ideas/recommendations? I’m not opposed to buying a kit to crack it open.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
There are two models iMac 2009:
iMac early 2009 (black back)
iMac late 2009 (aluminum back)
Which one is yours?

My hope is iMac late 2009 with a dead GPU.
Because if it's the early 2009, the fix will cost more due to rareness of parts.

JinxVi

Suspended
Dec 13, 2023
In post #3 he said the external display was also black....
This would suggest that it's not a problem of the display panel itself. All you can do is disassemble the iMac and swap parts with another old iMac, until you have a better idea of which part causes the problem.

halo80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
This would suggest that it's not a problem of the display panel itself. All you can do is disassemble the iMac and swap parts with another old iMac, until you have a better idea of which part causes the problem.
This is what I was fearing but expecting. Thanks!! Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.