Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camerong123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Hi there,

I have acquired some iMacs from 2009 which have had windows 7 put on them for whatever reason. I'm trying to get macOS back on them but whenever I boot them up (current OS is corrupted btw) I get a blank grey screen followed by the PC style 'No boot device available press enter to try' Here's the weird bit though, no matter what keys I press (Alt to get to boot menu, Cmd+r, Cmd+alt+p+r) I still end up on that screen with out any sign it's registered them. Even when I press enter to try again nothing happens. The light on the mouse comes on and once I've booted into Ubuntu off a DVD, the keyboard works fine so the USB ports aren't bad. That's the other thing, it will boot off a DVD (I've tried windows and Ubuntu which both work) but I don't have a mac DVD and as I can't enter the boot menu I can't select a USB drive and it doesn't detect it. It seems like the firmware has been tampered with as even with the HDD completely erased, the same things happen. I mean to make a snow leopard DVD but haven't got any spare atm. Has anyone got any solutions? Thanks

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hi there,

I have acquired some iMacs from 2009 which have had windows 7 put on them for whatever reason. I'm trying to get macOS back on them but whenever I boot them up (current OS is corrupted btw) I get a blank grey screen followed by the PC style 'No boot device available press enter to try' Here's the weird bit though, no matter what keys I press (Alt to get to boot menu, Cmd+r, Cmd+alt+p+r) I still end up on that screen with out any sign it's registered them. Even when I press enter to try again nothing happens. The light on the mouse comes on and once I've booted into Ubuntu off a DVD, the keyboard works fine so the USB ports aren't bad. That's the other thing, it will boot off a DVD (I've tried windows and Ubuntu which both work) but I don't have a mac DVD and as I can't enter the boot menu I can't select a USB drive and it doesn't detect it. It seems like the firmware has been tampered with as even with the HDD completely erased, the same things happen. I mean to make a snow leopard DVD but haven't got any spare atm. Has anyone got any solutions? Thanks
You are going to have to boot from a Snow Leopard DVD or a USB drive with a bootable OS X installer https://support.apple.com/HT201372. Macs that old do not support booting to the recovery system from the EFI firmware.

camerong123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Ok that explains not getting into recovery mode, but why wouldn't the Alt key work?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Ok that explains not getting into recovery mode, but why wouldn't the Alt key work?

Wrong key combination, I guess.
Clearing PRAM: (Better do it with no SSD/HDD attached.)
On Apple keyboard: Command + Option + P + R
On Windows keyboard: Windows + Alt + P + R.

You have to do it very fast. And use a simple membrant USB keyboard. Mechanical keyboard are slow to be recognized.

If the above does work, try clear SMC, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.