Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
Hi I don't know if that has been discussed here before, I upgraded today from the Original 500GB HDD to a 1TB SSHD. now its usually says that the fans spin up to max without the original apple HDD but I don't have this issue my fans are on normal speed without any settings made in Mac Fancontrol and the SSHD is reporting a Temperature by it self.

I don't think that Apple locked the iMac down that it will only like original HDD think its only the fact that many HDD didn't return a sensor value for temprature while this SSHD I use does.

Let me hear what you think of that.

pchung6

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2021
I think there is an expensive temp sensor available can skip the Mac HDD check. However, you can just use Mac Fancontrol to achieve the same. That's exactly what I use on my 2011 iMac. No issue at all, i wouldn't pay for that overpriced sensor at all.

Reactions: ImDanTheBoxMan

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
I think there is an expensive temp sensor available can skip the Mac HDD check. However, you can just use Mac Fancontrol to achieve the same. That's exactly what I use on my 2011 iMac. No issue at all, i wouldn't pay for that overpriced sensor at all.
i meant to say with my post that I don't have the fan issue on my iMac 2011 after I replaced the hdd. The so called OWC "HDD Sensor" is a huge scam from OWC. DONT BUY IT.

Cimberian

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
i meant to say with my post that I don't have the fan issue on my iMac 2011 after I replaced the hdd. The so called OWC "HDD Sensor" is a huge scam from OWC. DONT BUY IT.
Hi AntikerlabKenya!
What is the manufacture and the model of the SSHD? I’ve read in somewhere that it may be important.
Thank!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.