Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cMP MACPRO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Hi macrumors. I hope I can find help here.
I have a 2011 27°” iMac
specs 16gb ram 1333
i7 3.4
some radeon card
850 Evo ssd 1tb

The Gpu isn’t working anymore it burned about and getting hot every time I’m starting it. The Mac isn’t booting it just shows a white screen when I start it. I can’t go to recovery os.

So the most important part for me is that I want to get the data from it to and external hard drive connected to the Mac Pro I have. I know I can connect them together like iMac>Mac Pro with a FireWire 800 cable I have . As I know I can enter the target disk mode without booting into masc is like when starting I have to press a and the iMac would show up as an external hard drive on the Mac Pro.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I hope I can find help here.
What do you need help with?

when starting I have to press a and the iMac would show up as an external hard drive on the Mac Pro.
I think you mean press and hold "T".

If you cannot get Target Disk Mode to work, you can take off the glass and display, and remove the HDD. It is really easy, you can look up a guide on ifixit.

The first time you do it, it might take 30 minutes. I have done this many times and can probably swap the drive in less than 5 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.