Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I'm currently enjoying playing Half Life 2 on my 21.5" 2011 iMac. With Steam removing support for High Sierra (and Mojave) from Feb next year, what are my options?

Will using Open Core Legacy Patcher impact on games playing if I use it to upgrade to a newer OS, given my graphics card doesn't support metal?

I do have a M2 Macbook Air, so all is not lost if I can't take the iMac further.

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
To answer my own question - I was conservative and went to Monterey via OCLP, just to be safe(r). Took a while to install, but impressed by how well most stuff works. However, Valve haven't updated their own games to support 64bit, so am stuck not being able to play Half Life 2 series, Left 4 Dead series, Portal series; which I had just brought (luckily very cheaply during the sale).

Hopefully they'll update them prior to the 32bit shut off...

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm currently enjoying playing Half Life 2 on my 21.5" 2011 iMac. With Steam removing support for High Sierra (and Mojave) from Feb next year, what are my options?

Ah, I wasn't aware of this. I use Steam on two Macs - running High Sierra and Catalina respectively. For those of us unwilling or unable to upgrade, I suppose the Steam launcher will still run and we'll be able to play the existing games that we've purchased but newer will be unavailable. This is a strange and disappointing decision given that there are Mac titles on offer with requirements as low as Lion!

To answer my own question - I was conservative and went to Monterey via OCLP, just to be safe(r). Took a while to install, but impressed by how well most stuff works.

That's great news! :D

However, Valve haven't updated their own games to support 64bit, so am stuck not being able to play Half Life 2 series, Left 4 Dead series, Portal series; which I had just brought (luckily very cheaply during the sale).

Hopefully they'll update them prior to the 32bit shut off...

You could set up a dual boot and play that stuff under High Sierra... ;)

Reactions: Ste_S

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
Does dual booting work ok with OCLP? I think I read somewhere it interferes with it? I could, of course, be mistaken…

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I've done further reading on dual booting with OCLP and it seems somewhat involved. If anyone has a simple solution to it, please share!

In the meantime, I've been trialling Crossover, which generates a Windows 10 bottle on macOS to enable you to run Windows software. Steam and Half-Life 2, whilst not quite as good as running natively on High Sierra, are actually pretty playable. Not bad for Windows running in an app on a patched macOS that doesn't natively support non-metal GPUs without the patch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.