Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ZGocZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2022
No acceleration. Nothing from nvidia after kepler generation is supported in macos...

ZGocZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2022
There is no driver for macosx for Turing generation. OpenCore can patch the newer versions of macosx (like Ventura) so the old Kepler nvidia cards continue to work but there never was a driver for turing cards so there is no way to make hw acceleration work in macosx with Turing cards...

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
I find it really amazing that a failed sensor on a 12 year old apple motherboard stopped the non-supported card from boosting...
So for anyone who wants to boost this incredible old machine with a ray-tracing capable card - it works like a charm. Only thing required is the hardware backlight mode which is really simple. You lose backlight control so the display will get quite hot but at this point of the machines life - it's really nothing to worry about. I hope to squeeze a couple of Fortnite seasons more until the machine finally crashes and burns. :)
Maybe I'll manage to put in the Ada Lovelace card in future. If I do - I'll let you bunch know how it goes but I expect it to work similar to this card.
If you have any questions or want me to run any specific benchmark - let me know. I'll do my best to reply as soon as possible. :)
For backlight "control", @dfranetic developed an add-on PCB to enable it and keep a 50% duty cycle, much better than the "always on 100%" that the simple wire mod provides. While originally developed for AMD cards, it has been tested to work fine on Nvidia RTX too. There are full details about it on @Ausdauersportler github.

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
I was thinking about going the ESP32 way as seen here .
Yep, that should work fine and provide full brightness control.

It uses the iMac infrared usb port to connect to the esp32 serial port and send the command that sets the brightness percentage.

If you have micropython experience, it should be easy to skip the serial part and upgrade the code to create a webserver that receives the brightness setting using json, or start a BLE/UART service and control the brightness using some free ble/uart app from your phone :)

ZGocZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2022
Yep, that should work fine and provide full brightness control.

It uses the iMac infrared usb port to connect to the esp32 serial port and send the command that sets the brightness percentage.

If you have micropython experience, it should be easy to skip the serial part and upgrade the code to create a webserver that receives the brightness setting using json, or start a BLE/UART service and control the brightness using some free ble/uart app from your phone :)

LOL
I'm not really a micropython guy but I'm sure I'll find my way. Controlling brightness from the phone would be hilarious...

abds69

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
Hi, just posting my M3000M , if someone can mod for the internal Screen, as bootscreen is showed by opencore.

Attachments

• m3000mv2-nointernal.zip
    137.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

galeon34

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2023
Your card is not boosting clocks and stays at low power state, have you tried it on windows or macOS ?? while Ubuntu has not been well tested with this setups, I think there should be no problems.

Some Maxwell cards have a MXM structure test in vbios that can cause the card not to boost clocks in iMac, I'll check it and send an updated vbios to test.
I installed W10 and the results are still disappointing.

I reinstalled the original Techpowerup bios ( 183206.rom), the results on UnigineValley are the same as with the modified bios. So it's my card that's faulty, Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran_2023-12-24_07-35-27.png
    Capture d’écran_2023-12-24_07-35-27.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

sergey82

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
Проведена первая партия тестов на GTX1070 с включенным внутренним экраном, стандартной тактовой частотой/питанием VBIOS 115 Вт и вентилятором оптического привода с максимальной скоростью 2500 об/мин.

Результаты выглядят хорошо, карта работает так, как и ожидалось, и в тестах температура остается чуть ниже 70°C.

Также поиграл пару часов в Ведьмака 3 в родном разрешении 2560x1440 и на высоких настройках. На внутреннем экране игра выглядит просто великолепно и большую часть времени работает со скоростью 60 кадров в секунду, но температура графического процессора достигает 80°C. Проведу дополнительное тестирование с более высокой скоростью вращения вентилятора и, возможно, попробую настроить тактовую частоту/мощность, чтобы увидеть, имеет ли это значение.
Поставил в биос 1070, есть такая проблемаI put 1070 in your BIOS, such a problem was flashed on 125 w the card does not work on gjkye.hellp please

Attachments

• IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    701.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    875.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 49

Redlight-Records

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
The Basement
I don’t believe the M series cards are compatible with our old intel iMacs. I would think if they were we would already have custom vroms posted in the gpu upgrade thread from the talented devs there.
Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 8.09.59 PM.png

Does the 765M count as an M series card? I'm not being snarky, I really want to know, now that I need to update my OS and don't have a boot screen....

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
View attachment 2330134
Does the 765M count as an M series card? I'm not being snarky, I really want to know, now that I need to update my OS and don't have a boot screen....
It is an NVIDIA Kepler card and you will find a custom iMac vBIOS with boot screen support on this thread, search the NVIDIA table on the first post.

This thread here (as the name implies) is in particular about NVIDIA Maxwell (M) and Pascal (P) and Turing (T) cards to be used in iMacs - all these families had never native macOS driver support. The once natively supported Kepler cards are handled in the other thread.

First update to High Sierra latest and greatest to get all firmware upgrades.

Last edited:

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
Поставил в биосе 1070, такая проблема прошил 125 ж карта памяти залочена на 3000мг bios mobil for gtx1070 125w
карта не работает на 100 помогите пожалуйста
You Xeon CPU is not boosting and stays at low clocks, Time Spy CPU score should be close to 3000, not 1443:

1703849051503.png
1703849141057.png

Probably the GPU is ok, your problems seems the CPU, maybe a missing temperature sensor or some problem with logic board install.

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
Hi, just posting my M3000M , if someone can mod for the internal Screen, as bootscreen is showed by opencore.
If you mean adding EnableGop to get native bootscreen without OCLP/Opencore, give this a try:

Attachments

• m3000mv2-EG.ROM.zip
    152.3 KB · Views: 44

hashbot

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2022
US
Hi. Here's short update on my M5000M installation in iMac12,2.

...[truncated see original post 559]...

All the credits go to @Santa's Little Helper. He modified firmware for M5000M w/ boot screen and even config.plist for Nvidia webdriver. W/o his help, I may still be installing High Sierra again and again after failing Ventura update.

in Short, his M5000M modification can do native boot screen, brightness control, Ventura w/ H/W accel and Windows 11 in EFI mode.

Added a few benchmark screenshots for your reference. Thank you.

👍🙏
@terabay I followed your guide and SLH's config.plist mods on an iMac12,1 (with m0bil's bootrom mods from another thread) w/ P3000 to install Ventura / Sonoma.

Ventura / Sonoma runs glitchy/choppy as if I have no hardware accel at all, but Geekbench OpenCL score is respectable (Geekbench 6 OpenCL scores about ~30000 for Monterey | Ventura | Sonoma).

The same computer setup runs smoothly in Monterey. The valley score in Ventura / Sonoma was underwhelming (<1000) compared to Monterey (~2400) eventhough the same version of NVIDIA Web drivers 10.33 are loaded.

I'm using OCLP 1.3 w/ SLH config mods to install then apply WiFi and NVIDIA root patches.

1. Do you have any acceleration issues with M5000M in Ventura?
2. Have you benchmarked valley score above 2000 in Ventura?
3. Can you identify under System Information > Software > Extensions which of the NVIDIA kexts are loaded for the M5000M?

Attachments

• Vent_NVkexts.png
    Vent_NVkexts.png
    205.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Valley_VentP3000_kexts.png
    Valley_VentP3000_kexts.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Valley_MonteP3000_kexts.png
    Valley_MonteP3000_kexts.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Valley_SonoP3000_kexts.png
    Valley_SonoP3000_kexts.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 41

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
I replaced my p5000 with a 1070 with the 125w bios. Score went up a few hundred but I am still not hitting the numbers I should even though card is as cool as can be. Vrel is still a perf cap reason in gpu z.

Psu? Logicboard? Anyway to test what my issue might be?

Edit:

So I have another identical imac that already had a 1070 in it for some time. It scores just fine and even hits 6000 on occasion in timespy when oc'd.

I just ran concurrant furmark 1440p tests and the imac that is under performing maintained board powerdraw above 100 but never went above 110. The imac that is performing as expected had power draw bounce around a lot between 60+ to 129ish. The under performing imac scores a little better in furmark by about 100 points.

Running a bench mark on both machines in tiny tinas wonderlands on medium settings, the under performing machine was down 20+ fps from the other 1070 imac and 10ms slower. Voltage was pegged at about 1.05 volts where as the better performing 1070 imac as at .9 volts. Third image is the gpu-z from that test. Constant vrel. Windows says my dx12 is current.

I'm wondering if I can run apple hardware test via usb since I do not have mac os installed any longer on either machine.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot 2024-01-10 183916.png

Screenshot 2024-01-10 203412.png

Last edited:

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
I replaced my p5000 with a 1070 with the 125w bios. Score went up a few hundred but I am still not hitting the numbers I should even though card is as cool as can be. Vrel is still a perf cap reason in gpu z.

Psu? Logicboard? Anyway to test what my issue might be?

Edit:

So I have another identical imac that already had a 1070 in it for some time. It scores just fine and even hits 6000 on occasion in timespy when oc'd.

I just ran concurrant furmark 1440p tests and the imac that is under performing maintained board powerdraw above 100 but never went above 110. The imac that is performing as expected had power draw bounce around a lot between 60+ to 129ish. The under performing imac scores a little better in furmark by about 100 points.

Running a bench mark on both machines in tiny tinas wonderlands on medium settings, the under performing machine was down 20+ fps from the other 1070 imac and 10ms slower. Voltage was pegged at about 1.05 volts where as the better performing 1070 imac as at .9 volts. Third image is the gpu-z from that test. Constant vrel. Windows says my dx12 is current.

I'm wondering if I can run apple hardware test via usb since I do not have mac os installed any longer on either machine.

View attachment 2335178
View attachment 2335179

View attachment 2335192
Strange problem, have you got same cpu, maybe some different firmware patches ?
Yes, you can run apple hardware diagnostics booting from usb, there is some github repository you can download them and then create a bootable usb.

I recently got my lab iMac gtx1070 gpu broken while doing some testing :( so it'll take a few weeks until I receive a new one from china. Also take a look at nvidia driver version on both machines, and take care to reboot after updating them, that's how managed to break my gpu...

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
Well, I managed to toast my gtx1070 gpu while doing some cpu and gpu overclocking tests :(
While not usual, here is the story so nobody repeats the same error.

Two things went wrong:
- During extreme testing, I leave the odd temp sensor cable disconnected so ODD fan can ramp up to 3800 rpm
- After updating Nvidia driver MacsFanControl looses temp reading from the card, until next reboot.

So, I updated Nvidia driver and launched gpu benchmark without rebooting, leaving computer unattended. Since MacsFanControl did not get gpu temp, it kept odd fan at lowest speed while gpu benchmarked. After a few minutes computer hard shutdown. Results:

1704974567103.png

1704974585515.png

Expensive lesson learned. Always reboot after Nvidia driver update and it may be better to keep the ODD sensor connected and relocated to the GPU heatsink (while not providing 3800 rpm speed, it may have saved the card).

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Limited software based solution or How to use Macs Fan Control:

Always, always let the ODD fan depend on the GPU heat sink temperature, never on the GPU temperature. The former reflects the real heat dissipated from the GPU into the sink which needs to be transported out of the iMac using the radiator above the DVD drive.

Optimal hardware based solution:

Relocate the DVD drive temp sensor and glue it directly onto the GPU heat sink. Starting at 55C the ODD fan will ramp up and this will happen SMC controlled whenever the iMac is turned on. It does not depend on a user land application (like Macs Fan Control) after successful booting up. It will work in any case, even during long lasting macOS or Windows update sessions.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2005
Strange problem, have you got same cpu, maybe some different firmware patches ?
Yes, you can run apple hardware diagnostics booting from usb, there is some github repository you can download them and then create a bootable usb.

I recently got my lab iMac gtx1070 gpu broken while doing some testing :( so it'll take a few weeks until I receive a new one from china. Also take a look at nvidia driver version on both machines, and take care to reboot afte
Same cpu, cloned windows + efi install. I think I even have copied firmware from one machine to the other as I remember doing that but that could have been another logic board. Haven't done any patches.

I swapped psus, not the psu. I did ram test, not the ram. I swapped gpu's, not the gpu. I replaced the psu cable, that solved the perf cap vrel but it did not solve performance issues.

I spent hours trying to copy and read firmware today (in case my memory is bad and its not copied over) could not get the ic to detect after a couple hours of attempts. Clip is good though because I did vbios change on the p5000 in hopes of selling it in between attempts.

All thats left is something wrong with the logic board. Going to swap that out and see if it solves it. There is no other component I can swap to see if its the issue. Except the cpu (or inverter board?) But that seems bonkers. Both are i7 2600.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2005
I think I know why my cards have not been running like they should but I am unsure how to fix it.

In cpu-z my Current Link Width is x1 with max supported as x16. The imac that runs correctly both width and supported are x16.

The bios date on the x1 is 4.10.18, the bios date on the better one is 6.14.19. Booting high sierra from usb on my x1 width imac and going into updates doesn't show me any updates for firmware, just a security update.

I don't know if the x1 width is because of a cpu/pin issue or if its a firmware issue.

abds69

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
If you mean adding EnableGop to get native bootscreen without OCLP/Opencore, give this a try:
Thanks m0bil, but like my modded bios , GOP OK but imac 12,2 internal screen never activated on high Sierra after booting, except when acceleration is desactivated.
Could some share what mod is used on nvidia Vbios to activate it, as on internet , can only find explanations for Ati cards?

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
I think I know why my cards have not been running like they should but I am unsure how to fix it.

In cpu-z my Current Link Width is x1 with max supported as x16. The imac that runs correctly both width and supported are x16.

The bios date on the x1 is 4.10.18, the bios date on the better one is 6.14.19. Booting high sierra from usb on my x1 width imac and going into updates doesn't show me any updates for firmware, just a security update.

I don't know if the x1 width is because of a cpu/pin issue or if its a firmware issue.
That makes sense, a reduced link width will slow gpu performance. The gpu PCIe bus is directly connected to the cpu, so a faulty cpu could be the cause, but my guess is that it may be a firmware issue. The link is initialized in the firmware PEI phase, so having an old firmware version may provide more basic and slower link configuration.

Latest firmware for iMac 12,x is version 87.0.0.0.0
If you don't plan using macOS, you can simply test this by copying firmware from faster iMac to slower one (firmware contains iMac serial number and logic board serial number, but they are only used by macOS/iCloud, Windows will ignore them).

0JVR0

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
Hello guys, I would like to ask you if I want to upgrade my GPU from a 27" iMac 2011 to a Quadro M2000M. To flash the BIOS with a CH341A programmer, do I need any additional adapter, such as the 1.8V or the 3.3V?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.