Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

StefanAM

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2020
Results are a bit strange, while single-core results are in line with expected clock speed increase, I think multi-core should show better benchmark results. I wonder if macOS power management is limiting multi-core multipliers. Do you have a way to actually monitor CPU core speeds while benchmarking ??

Edit: while Windows and macOS results are not the same, that is what I get on Win10, 4x40 multiplier:

View attachment 2321853
Hey @m0bil! Attached is Geekbench results 4x44 in macOS, Windows and Ubuntu. Like you see is more or less the same. I think you have a better something...... RAM, firmware configuration, silicon, GPU (but I don't think this can be the reason), etc. Can you make a test with 4x44 in Windows/Ubuntu?

Attachments

• Geekbench comparison.png
    Geekbench comparison.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 81

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
Hey @m0bil! Attached is Geekbench results 4x44 in macOS, Windows and Ubuntu. Like you see is more or less the same. I think you have a better something...... RAM, firmware configuration, silicon, GPU (but I don't think this can be the reason), etc. Can you make a test with 4x44 in Windows/Ubuntu?
try geekbench 5, it was the version I used and I think results differ between versions.
Also in windows you can use ThrottleStop to monitor per-core clocks while benchmarking.

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
In my current setup with the stock 2600 I can get different results by how the way I place the ram-modules. I now have 2 x 2GB + 2 x 8 GB and result vary.

This is what gives the highest results. Since Im now going for 4X8GB 1600mhz modules this will not matter anymore but good to know for you if you have mixed RAM-modules.

Skärmavbild 2023-12-08 kl. 13.41.28.png

Reactions: StefanAM

m0bil

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2020
I wasn't aware you're using Geekbench 5. I will post GB5 results.

Update:
While your single core score is ok, I think you should get higher multi-core score at 4x44. I have still to check this on my current set. Maybe ram makes a difference, as lower latency modules should give higher scores, specially when overclocking. From windows you can check you ram latency from cpu-z.

StefanAM

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2020
While your single core score is ok, I think you should get higher multi-core score at 4x44. I have still to check this on my current set. Maybe ram makes a difference, as lower latency modules should give higher scores, specially when overclocking. From windows you can check you ram latency from cpu-z.
Here is my RAM timings and another GB5. I'll try 4x42 and see how it works.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.png
    2.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 60

JohnPascololo

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2021
Merry christmas everyone! Just wanted to share my appreciation and respect for what you do. After reading I'm now feeling a little bit of a desire to grab my 12,2 and sequeeze the last performance bits out of it. Also the GOP update to bring back the native bootpicker I found in the other thread are great achievements! Amazing stuff you are doing!

JohnPascololo

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2021
@m0bil Can you send me your multiplier patch? I would give it a try on my machine.

Off topic question to readers from Germany: I'm looking for a 12,2 HDD replacement fan, does anyone of you have one left over to sell?

idenis42

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2020
You can't install a 1150 processor to a 1155 slot socket. Not physically or logically possible.
I asked a special question - if I delete the pointer on socket 1155, and insert the processor, will it work at all??? I know it won't physically happen. But the shape is the same.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I asked a special question - if I delete the pointer on socket 1155, and insert the processor, will it work at all??? I know it won't physically happen. But the shape is the same.

Already answered that, it's not compatible electrically or logically - different pin-out, different voltage levels, different PCH.

In a 2011 iMac you can't even use a 1155 gen3 Intel processor, while physically compatible, it's not firmware (and probably also PCB design) compatible.

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Okay im ready to go 😂
Please pm me the CPU 2700k overclock patch and i will post results before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_9423.jpeg
    IMG_9423.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: StefanAM

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Can I just drop in the 2700K CPU and It will boot or do I need to run microcodes patch before?

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Thanks. Lets try this.. I actually I just bough an i3 2011 27" so I will test it in this instead of my main i7 iMac. Also nice to compare them in real life tasks standing side by side.

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
The screws on the cpu holder was shorter than expected (was not prepared to hold it back). Old i3 cpu flew like 1m up in the air and landed upside down on the LGA socket. Several bent pins and old thermal past in between the pins.

My soon to be 40yo grandpa eyes will not help me in bending back the pins. I would say this motherboard is f*cked.

Attachments

• IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    504.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9453.jpeg
    IMG_9453.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Maggehagge

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
The screws on the cpu holder was shorter than expected (was not prepared to hold it back). Old i5 cpu flew like 1m up in the air and landed upside down on the LGA socket. Several bent pins and old thermal past in between the pins.

My soon to be 40yo grandpa eyes will not help me in bending back the pins. I would say this motherboard is f*cked.
No man.. nooo. You are NOT supposed to remove those screws... Didnt you see the lever? thats why the cpu flew up. you never need to hold it down.

EDIT: Forgot to write NOT in the sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrizLoud

ChrizLoud

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Aquired new iMac 2011 mpcb.. This time I used the leveler. 2700k is in. Compared to my other iMac 2011 with 2600s temps are actually the same besides 2600s iMac needs to ramp up fans to about 1100 rpm instead of 940 rpm keeping 82C on intel power gadget all threads load test. Now time for some overclocking magic :D

Edit: After some thinking this might be the 2600s original 13 year old thermal paste vs 2 hours old Arctic MX-4 :)
Let's see what this Apple CPU cooling unit can do when overclocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: m0bil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.