Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moe2929

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
Good Day

I have iMac 2012 getting slow, so I decided to upgrade to SSD it still same issue + the fan start speed up and never stop.
the "kernel task" take CPU %

please find some picture below.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-15 at 17.27.31_bda20cbe.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-15 at 17.27.31_38958245.jpg

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
So the fan issue is new since the SSD installed? If so, what brand and model SSD did you install?

Moe2929

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
So the fan issue is new since the SSD installed? If so, what brand and model SSD did you install?
Hi,
I have used 2 brands WD Green and Lexar it still same issue, the fan speed little bit lower with the original HDD.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Yes I did to many times

The fan speed will back to normal if you boot from the original HDD?
How about installing new Mac OS to the SSD, either Internally on SATA port, or externally in a USB 3.0 enclosure?
While booting from the original HDD, I suppose you can download and create a USB installer of newer Mac OS like High Sierra or Catalina, can't you?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you upgrade to SSD by replacing the internal hard drive with that SSD?
Or, booting from the SSD in an external enclosure? (and the original hard drive is still inside your iMac?)

When you upgraded to the SSD, did you install a fresh system on that SSD, or did you restore the drive from your original hard drive (and did not actually reinstall the Mountain Lion system)?

My final question: Has this iMac ever had a newer system installed? Might be worth the time to install Catalina, as the firmware would be fully updated during THAT system install. You could then revert to Mountain Lion, if you have a need to continue with the old system. (I would not expect browsing the internet will work for much on Mountain Lion, but certainly there's other old software that will be useful, if that is what you have...)

Ultimate upgrade on your 2012 would be to replace 8GB RAM with 16GB, when you can also look to check if there is a slot for an SSD blade. It's a big job to do that RAM upgrade, as the logic board has to be removed to get there. The socket for a blade SSD would be a bonus at that point (which is also on the back of the logic board.)
Of course, if you have already been inside, because you replaced the original hard drive, you know about the tape that holds the screen in place. The replacement tape can be much more work to replace than the original (OEM) tape strips. It's all part of the "fun" of upgrading those "thin" iMacs

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Moe2929

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
How about installing new Mac OS to the SSD, either Internally on SATA port, or externally in a USB 3.0 enclosure?
While booting from the original HDD, I suppose you can download and create a USB installer of newer Mac OS like High Sierra or Catalina, can't you?
Hi
It still same issue . nothing changed.

Same thing. I have installed it in external USB.

Yes, I have tried Catalina so nothing changed

Moe2929

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
Or, booting from the SSD in an external enclosure? (and the original hard drive is still inside your iMac?)

When you upgraded to the SSD, did you install a fresh system on that SSD, or did you restore the drive from your original hard drive (and did not actually reinstall the Mountain Lion system)?

My final question: Has this iMac ever had a newer system installed? Might be worth the time to install Catalina, as the firmware would be fully updated during THAT system install. You could then revert to Mountain Lion, if you have a need to continue with the old system. (I would not expect browsing the internet will work for much on Mountain Lion, but certainly there's other old software that will be useful, if that is what you have...)

Ultimate upgrade on your 2012 would be to replace 8GB RAM with 16GB, when you can also look to check if there is a slot for an SSD blade. It's a big job to do that RAM upgrade, as the logic board has to be removed to get there. The socket for a blade SSD would be a bonus at that point (which is also on the back of the logic board.)
Of course, if you have already been inside, because you replaced the original hard drive, you know about the tape that holds the screen in place. The replacement tape can be much more work to replace than the original (OEM) tape strips. It's all part of the "fun" of upgrading those "thin" iMacs
Hi,
I did booting from the SSD in an external enclosure then I replace it with the original hard drive with fresh system.

Has this iMac ever had a newer system installed?
Yes I have tried Catalina

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.