Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve1812

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
worked for me too

Changing the pmset thingy numbers for two of the settings worked for me.

I have a 2012iMac with blue tooth key board, hard wired Wacom tablet and a blue tooth touch pad.

The worst I get is around a 5 second delay till the mouse kicks in from the Wacom tablet.
Otherwise insatnt creen no matter how long asleep.

Happy days.

Steve1812

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
What's the difference between autopoweroff and standby? And what's the difference between autopoweroffdelay and standbydelay? Seems like the same thing

lszl

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Wired keyboard won't wake

Hi all!

I recently bought the newest iMac (3.4GHz, 32Gb RAM, 3Tb Fusion Drive) and it did the same thing as it was discussed above. Wake up time was much longer than rebooting, so I've tried the solution provided by you guys. I entered the two command (sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" and "sudo pmset standby 0") and it did resolve the problem, but in quite a strange way. After that I wasn't able to wake the computer with a wired keyboard, just with the power button and strangely a white screen appeared with a progress bar, same as on the MacBooks which are going into hibernation mode. However, even with that the computer woke up much faster than before. I just don't get it how it is possible to be in hibernation mode when that option is turned off by default.
I've figured it out that if I change the standby option back to 1, the white screen disappears and the computer wakes. At this point you might want to ask, so what is the problem then?
The problem is, that I can't wake the iMac with a wired keyboard after a certain amount of time (around 15 minutes). The only way to wake is to push the power button. Which is rather strange in my opinion.
Any idea what causes this? Why it is impossible to wake with a keyboard plugged in?
My pmset -g settings are the following:
Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 1
powerbutton 1
womp 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 0
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 5
standbydelay 4200

Thank you for your help!
Regards,
L

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
After months of fighting with this issue I think I solved it! The problem is after your computer goes to sleep, it now by default requires a password due to iCloud and keychain. You need to disable require a password when waking from sleep or screen saver. I am still verifying if is is an issue when you have only one user account on your Mac or more. It all start d when I added a second account which DID have require a password turned on. I have wasted so much time trying to fix this, but I think this has done it. Go to settings, security, general and uncheck require password afte 5 mi Utes of sleep or screen saver. FYI, I am on OS X 10.11 so it might vary for older versions of OS X.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I am experiencing the same issue (long wake up from sleep) on my brand-new iMac 27" (late 2015) which is barely a month old. My iMac is running 10.11.4 and has a 2 TB FD.

I haven't tried yet any of the suggestions listed in this topic, and I surely will, but before I do that, I was wondering if they still apply for El Capitan?

Here's the output of the pmset -g command:

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 15
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
standby delay 10800

Edit: I don't want to turn off the "require password to wake from sleep", I'd prefer another solution, so I'll try tinkering with the power management settings as suggested in the posts before.

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
After months of fighting with this issue I think I solved it! The problem is after your computer goes to sleep, it now by default requires a password due to iCloud and keychain. You need to disable require a password when waking from sleep or screen saver. I am still verifying if is is an issue when you have only one user account on your Mac or more. It all start d when I added a second account which DID have require a password turned on. I have wasted so much time trying to fix this, but I think this has done it. Go to settings, security, general and uncheck require password afte 5 mi Utes of sleep or screen saver. FYI, I am on OS X 10.11 so it might vary for older versions of OS X.

To update, this did not fix my issue. I am still fighting with it. Apple replaced my logic board and GPU and it did nothing. I will be taking it back to apple and asking for a new machine if they can't fix it. I have a 2011 imac 27" still under Apple care.

LindyFish

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
So the new 27" runs great, but instead of shutdown issues, I have wake from sleep problems. The imac runs perfectly, then sleeps at the allotted time fine.

If left for half an hour or so, it will wake normally. If left longer, it takes a couple (sometimes three) taps on the KB to wake it, when it once again runs fine.

Things I've done

SMC / PRAM re-et

Checked Indexing

I have a feeling that because I used MA to transfer my data ( Something I didn't want to do, but was persuaded, by my Apple rep to try) something has come over that should not have.

I should aslo say that the fix is a re-install of ML, but I'd really like to find a better / faster fix if one exists.

I have an older iMAC but encountered this problem for the first time yesterday. I tried everything Apple recommended, but it still would not "wake up" automatically. Resolution came (at least I think so), when I unplugged my iMac, and then unplugged the surge protector it was plugged into, and then replugged everything. Seems to have worked so far. Just thought I would pass that on. If anything changes, I will post an update.
[doublepost=1493752800][/doublepost]I have an older iMAC but encountered this problem for the first time yesterday. I tried everything Apple recommended, but it still would not "wake up" automatically. Resolution came (at least I think so), when I unplugged my iMac, and then unplugged the surge protector it was plugged into, and then replugged everything. Seems to have worked so far. Just thought I would pass that on. If anything changes, I will post an update.
[doublepost=1493752863][/doublepost]Sorry - I think this is going to post 3 times.....New to the forum, so my apologies

I have an older iMAC but encountered this problem for the first time yesterday. I tried everything Apple recommended, but it still would not "wake up" automatically. Resolution came (at least I think so), when I unplugged my iMac, and then unplugged the surge protector it was plugged into, and then replugged everything. Seems to have worked so far. Just thought I would pass that on. If anything changes, I will post an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.