Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liamshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
SF
Hi Folks,

Just curious if anyone here has attempted to "hack" their 1st gen 5k iMac with 64 GB of Ram? (iMac15,1)

I am fully aware that *officially* this model only supports 32 GB ram. However I am wondering if anyone has attempted to install 64 GB to find out if this is a real limitation or a marketing limitation? I'd like to give it a go, but haven't found any documentation online of any previous attempts to make this work.

Cheers!

PS. Looking at getting 2 of these kits to try: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-16GBx2-PC3L-12800-Unbuffered-204-Pin/dp/B011ISG132
204 pin DDR3L SO-DIMM. Dual voltage and can operate at 1.35V. So I believe this should fit and work! Barring any software blocks......

Last edited:

liamshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
SF
Yes I will most likely make the purchase and just give it a shot. Just wanted to check first to see if anyone had tried already before I go through the motions. I will definitely update here with my experience. Again, I'm aware that the "official" support is only 32 gigs. Trying to see if we can break the rules though ;)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Skylake chips set supports 64 GBs using only 4 slots. The 2014 version will not work with the 16 GB sticks or DDR4 16 GB(can't remember which). It shouldn't hurt to try it.

liamshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
SF
Ahhh.... so it's a CPU limitation of Haswell?
Skylake chips set supports 64 GBs using only 4 slots. The 2014 version will not work with the 16 GB sticks or DDR4 16 GB

Can you support this with some kind of data/links?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Skylake chips set supports 64 GBs using only 4 slots. The 2014 version will not work with the 16 GB sticks or DDR4 16 GB(can't remember which). It shouldn't hurt to try it.
To be clear, if some people here didn't understand his comment:

The 2014 is NOT Skylake. The 2015 model is Skylake. While the 2015 iMac does not officially support 64 GB RAM, it actually does support 64 GB RAM, according to tests by OWC, and as reported by Everymac.com. However, the 2014 does not. EveryMac.com does not list any compatibility for 64 GB RAM for the 2014 models.

OP, don't waste your money.

liamshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
SF
To be clear, if some people here didn't understand his comment:

The 2014 is NOT Skylake. The 2015 model is Skylake. While the 2015 iMac does not officially support 64 GB RAM, it actually does support 64 GB RAM, according to tests by OWC, and as reported by Everymac.com. However, the 2014 does not. EveryMac.com does not list any compatibility for 64 GB RAM for the 2014 models.

OP, don't waste your money.

Ya... I did some more digging and it seems pretty clear that it's a limitation of the Haswell / 4790K Devil's Canyon CPU. It does seem that this limitation is software based and there could potentially be a BIOS update that would allow for 64 GB, but as of right now that seems like a long shot. I still kinda want to try but it looks like 95% chance of failure.

Annoying since there is a history of being able to expand beyond the advised limits, but probably not in this particular case.

Rkc7LFI.png

Cheers guys

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Ya... I did some more digging and it seems pretty clear that it's a limitation of the Haswell / 4790K Devil's Canyon CPU. It does seem that this limitation is software based and there could potentially be a BIOS update that would allow for 64 GB, but as of right now that seems like a long shot. I still kinda want to try but it looks like 95% chance of failure.

Annoying since there is a history of being able to expand beyond the advised limits, but probably not in this particular case.

Rkc7LFI.png

Cheers guys
Hmmm... That table may be misleading actually. For example, the 2017 27" officially supports 64 GB for most of the models. Only the base model doesn't list 64 GB compatibility (but it does support 64 GB).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.