Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
I had the idea to attach a Thunderbolt 3 drive (or an external SSD with an USB-C interface) to my iMac 27" Retina Late 2015.

So I took my Apple TB3-TB2-adapter, a TB2-cable and a LaCie Rugged Pro Drive as well as an Icybox USB-C Case with an SSD containing bootable volumes and happily tried all ways of connecting, putting plugs in and out an into each of the two TB2-ports. Whithout success, though.

Restarting to double check whether it might eventually recognize an external drive, my Mac would suddenly start in installation mode trying to reinstall Catalina on the internal volume (running on Catalina). This happened twice and I shut down the computer both times (forced by long power button press first time and then by unplugging the computer from the socket).

Since then, black screen, no chime, no boot menu. Checked RAM and reset PRAM/SMC, disattached all external stuff, tried all keyboard shortcuts. When pressing power button, it starts, after a second restarts, after 10 seconds restarts again, then it remains.

Can see some white LEDs from RAM tray, can hear something spinning in the upper left corner, USB ports power external devices.

Any explanations, anyone?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take ALL the RAM out.
Unplug it from the wall.
Let it sit like that for 2 hours.
Then put the RAM back in, plug it in, and try again.

I suggest that you refrain from the tbolt connections for a while...

Reactions: fabj

fabj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Take ALL the RAM out.
Unplug it from the wall.
Let it sit like that for 2 hours.
Then put the RAM back in, plug it in, and try again.

I suggest that you refrain from the tbolt connections for a while...
No change, unfortunately (using either of the bars and alternating slots).

When looking into the opened RAM tray, I can still see the LEDs (green, not white, btw) turning on, then briefly turning off after 1 sec and again after 10 secs, then they continue to light up.

I considered attaching another screen in case it's a screen interface issue, however that would require using the TB2 connection (as Minidisplayport).

Given I will open it up – what to look for?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"This happened twice and I shut down the computer both times (forced by long power button press first time and then by unplugging the computer from the socket)."

I'm wondering if the firmware could be "damaged" in some way.
As in... an "interrupted" upgrade?

How does one "revive" damaged firmware?

fabj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
"This happened twice and I shut down the computer both times (forced by long power button press first time and then by unplugging the computer from the socket)."

I'm wondering if the firmware could be "damaged" in some way.
As in... an "interrupted" upgrade?

How does one "revive" damaged firmware?
Sounds reasonable. I've had other machines with a logicboard suddenly dying, here it felt more like it strangulating itself gradually, so I am kind of optimistic that the hardware is fine.

So there is a Mac Configurator, but that is for newer T2 macs. Couldn't research any procedure yet how to do with an older machine.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I think this is your iMac, however, it certainly sounds like the "fix" here isn't working for you -

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.