Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsider

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Hi everybody,

currently I am using a powerful PC (Geforce GTX 1080) for VR development (Vive) and some gaming and a MacBook Pro late 2013 with Intel Graphics for everything else. Now that Apple announced that VR is coming to MacOS I am tempted to switch to Mac completely because in contrast to Windows, I love working with MacOS so the prospect to do all my work on a Mac seems great to me.

What troubles me is that the new iMac, despite getting a big upgrade to the Radeon Pro 500 series, even at the maxed out configuration with the 580 model still might not be enough for my needs. At the moment it seems to be ok but not great for doing some VR applications but I expect it to become outdated very soon.

Putting the price aside, the iMac Pro seems to be the better option for me but even that won't have to graphics power for the next, say four years. And paying 5000 bucks for the cheapest configurations seems a little bit over the top. So my idea was to get the best current iMac at sale and take advantage of the announced eGPU support to keep it up to date for the years to come, since the i7 processor, the fast SSD and up to 64GB of RAM seem to be future proof for some time.

What are your opinions on these thoughts? Would you, at my place, consider this a good way to go?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.