Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

envybvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
Hello,

I have 2 SSD to install (blade + ssd) and I saw I need also a thermal sensor to install to avoid the fan big noise.
So, because I am from Romania, its very expensive for me to buy from USA, like I pay +20$ transport, +vamal costs, +another transport in romania.

I found some alternative in my country but I need your help to tell me if I can do something.

Instead of this: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD12/
To use this: https://www.emag.ro/senzor-temperatura-hard-disk-pentru-imac-a1312-27-mb587/pd/DPPY45BBM/

Can I ? How ?
Thank you

LE: Just for everyone to understand. I will upgrade my 2019 iMac with the following:

- The original PCIe SSD Blade with:

- The Classic HDD with:

So in the final I will have no Fusion Drive but 2 super fast SSD.

Attachments

• imac.png
    imac.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,094
Last edited:

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
The american link is to a part for the post 2012 imacs.

The romanian link is to a part for imacs released between 2009 and 2011

envybvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The american link is to a part for the post 2012 imacs.

The romanian link is to a part for imacs released between 2009 and 2011

Hi, I know that. But I want to know if its possible to make something or I need exactly the OWC thermal sensor

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
It would have helped if you'd stated exactly what year and model iMac you have.

In answer to your question, "Do you need exactly the OWC thermal sensor?" The answer is no.
Can you make something similar? You are the best person to answer this, depending on your skills.
For info,the sensor shown in the 2nd link can be purchased from China for just over $6(30 Lei)or $10(43Lei) shipped. That may work but without knowing precisely which model iMac you have I wouldn't guarantee it.

If I was doing it, I would maintain the original HD, and install the SSD in a caddy in place of the optical drive. I've done this with two 27" iMacs with very successful results. With the new SSD installed with your OS and set as your main boot drive, and the original HD wiped clean and set as the 2nd (data) drive, this gives a new lease of life to older iMacs.
Don't forget to activate trim via Terminal for the new SSD.

envybvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
It would have helped if you'd stated exactly what year and model iMac you have.

In answer to your question, "Do you need exactly the OWC thermal sensor?" The answer is no.
Can you make something similar? You are the best person to answer this, depending on your skills.
For info,the sensor shown in the 2nd link can be purchased from China for just over $6(30 Lei)or $10(43Lei) shipped. That may work but without knowing precisely which model iMac you have I wouldn't guarantee it.

If I was doing it, I would maintain the original HD, and install the SSD in a caddy in place of the optical drive. I've done this with two 27" iMacs with very successful results. With the new SSD installed with your OS and set as your main boot drive, and the original HD wiped clean and set as the 2nd (data) drive, this gives a new lease of life to older iMacs.
Don't forget to activate trim via Terminal for the new SSD.

I am very sorry for missinformation.
So I have attached my mac model and meantime I find out that I don't even need the thermal sensor :)

I have this https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/S3DAPT4MA05K/
Also this https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SSD7P6G480/

To replace the Fusion Drive.
I also have a caddy https://www.celo.ro/ssd/adaptor-fixare-hdd-ssd-2-5-in-bay-de-3-5-suruburi-de-fixare.html

My single problem now is that I don't have that Thermal Sensor and I would like to know if I really need it or I can proceed without it like here:

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• imac.png
    imac.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 350

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
So, it's the latest 2019 27" iMac you have. An excellent machine!
Imho, the only drawback is that Apple incorporates the PCI 'blade' SSD and HD into a fusion drive, and I've never been a fan of fusion drives, in fact I really dislike them.
I've never upgraded this model, but if I was to do so I'd probably just change the PCI 'blade' SSD for one with a larger capacity (1TB), and leave the original HD in place. Note that the logic board has to come out to access the PCI SSD from underneath. There appears to be no seperate thermal sensor on that model, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Assuming one can add a 2nd SSD, I would never 'butcher' the support caddy as shown in the video. I'd simply attach an SSD using double-sided velcro tape.
Having said that, in the video he says that one cannot add a 2nd SSD. I've never done it on that model, so unable to comment further.
HERE's an interesting link which may help you further.
I'm interested to know how you eventually get on, please post again on completion.

Reactions: envybvl

envybvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
So, it's the latest 2019 27" iMac you have. An excellent machine!
- Well, I am not very satisfied with it. I already replace the 8GB ram with 32GB OWC RAM (1 blade)
- Also this is the main reaso I want to change his fusion drive with 2 SSDs.
- The i5 procesor is not so good but I took this iMac at a very good price so...

Imho, the only drawback is that Apple incorporates the PCI 'blade' SSD and HD into a fusion drive, and I've never been a fan of fusion drives, in fact I really dislike them.
Yes! This 2019 iMac have a Fusion Drive that means 1SSD (the blade - 32 gb if I am not wrong) and 1 classic HDD.

I've never upgraded this model, but if I was to do so I'd probably just change the PCI 'blade' SSD for one with a larger capacity (1TB), and leave the original SSD in place.
- I will change the PCIe SSD with a new PCIe SSD 480GB Aura PRO X2 (OWC)
- Also I will change the classic HDD (there is no original SSD) with a 480GB SSD Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (OWC)

Having said that, in the video he says that one cannot add a 2nd SSD. I've never done it on that model, so unable to comment further.
- In the video he change the classical HDD to a SSD so there is 2 SSD (The PCIe blade + The New SSD) - this means there is 2SSD right ?

I'm interested to know how you eventually get on, please post again on completion.
I will keep this thread posted. I will start to work on it later today

LE: I really don't understand. I cannot change the PCIe and also the HDD too ?
It must be just PCIe or just replace HDD with SSD ?

Last edited:

envybvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
Hello everyone!
So:

I come to you with fresh news. I just installed my two new SSD to 27 inch iMac @2019 and works good.
I will let you some pictures attached to see.

As you can see, I've changed the blade, also the HDD.
The new speed tests in the pictures
The big one is for PCIe Aura Pro X2
The low one is from Mercury SATA Extreme 6G

If anyone wants to know any other information, please ask. I will try to help you guys.

Attachments

• DD67DA3A-F128-4C00-8FB1-8751A131C10D.jpg
    DD67DA3A-F128-4C00-8FB1-8751A131C10D.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 852
  • D18D7F66-F305-4E33-B88E-951E7C328367.jpg
    D18D7F66-F305-4E33-B88E-951E7C328367.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 693
  • CD0E9C67-EFFE-4B45-BFF6-8F51D926416D.jpg
    CD0E9C67-EFFE-4B45-BFF6-8F51D926416D.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 567
  • 540BB0FA-3CBA-4372-99C5-8CACE7DAE6CC.jpg
    540BB0FA-3CBA-4372-99C5-8CACE7DAE6CC.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 631
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-10-30 at 13.05.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-10-30 at 13.05.33.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
Reactions: scottishmac72

cottontheprt

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
Okinawa
Hello everyone!
So:

I come to you with fresh news. I just installed my two new SSD to 27 inch iMac @2019 and works good.

If anyone wants to know any other information, please ask. I will try to help you guys.

Hello,

I am getting ready to upgrade same model as you. I will leave my factory 512GB “Blade” SSD and add an internal 2TB SATA SSD, Then I will try to make a fusion drive with these. How did you go about making the fusion drive? Disk utility? Or the terminal command line? I’d be interested to know your specifics. Congratulations on getting the iMac apart and back together nicely! It’s a lot of work :)

scottishmac72

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
Hello everyone!
So:

Hi,
how did you end up dealing with the thermal sensing, did you get the cable or did you set the fans instead?

Thanks

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
Hello everyone!
So:

Hi there, hows your Aura Pro X2 doing for you these days? Does it still work fast, awesome without issues? I'm considering the exact same upgrades you did to my 27" 2019 iMac i9. thanks a lot

danceswithcamera

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Kobe, Japan
Hello everyone!
So:

Did you end up using a temperature sensor on the SSD you used to replace the HDD? If so, what cable did you use, and how did you connect it? If not, is the fan speed running ok?

Reactions: Johnny Jackhammer

Rtjr

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
Did you end up using a temperature sensor on the SSD you used to replace the HDD? If so, what cable did you use, and how did you connect it? If not, is the fan speed running ok?
Did you find out if he added a thermal sensor or not?
thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.