Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Hello everyone!

I have a little doubt with my iMac 21.5" (Late 2012). I want to upgrade the hard drive into a SSD and also I want to update the RAM from 8GB into 16GB (because its the maximum that iMac model can hold up).

The thing that i want to know is if its possible to installar DDR4 Memory in that model. Currently the memory in that iMac was DDR3. I've been searching and I cant seem to find the right answer.

Hope that you can help me.

Thanks so much, stay safe!

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Hello everyone!

I have a little doubt with my iMac 21.5" (Late 2012). I want to upgrade the hard drive into a SSD and also I want to update the RAM from 8GB into 16GB (because its the maximum that iMac model can hold up).

The thing that i want to know is if its possible to installar DDR4 Memory in that model. Currently the memory in that iMac was DDR3. I've been searching and I cant seem to find the right answer.

Hope that you can help me.

Thanks so much, stay safe!

Just look at the Everymac description. https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.7-21-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html
Your iMac takes PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM. You cannot use DDR4 - I have never come across a Mac that could take two different types of RAM - they all have different pins anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.