Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2021
Apologies if this has already been posted or discussed but I just wanted some guidance.

So my history/current situation:
I had a MacBook Air, bought in 2013, for years until it died (user damage) - I loved it. I'd probably still be using it today if it was alive. I'm now currently using a MacBook Pro 13in 2017 model; it's my wife's laptop but since she doesn't require it for work it's easy enough for us to share it. We also have a iPad Air 2 that is somehow still alive!

With the advent of apple silicone I'm interested in getting a new machine - to live alongside the MacBook Pro as the trade-in prices aren't great, Apple is offering £230 while Music Magpie is offering £400 so might as well keep it! I love the look of the iMac 24in but I've ALWAYS had laptops and not had a desktop since the early-to-mid 2000s. And the rumours of the 2022 MacBook Air are making me consider waiting for it.

It'd also be nice to update the iPad Air 2 as it's a great device but showing its age now. I'd get the Apple Pencil (note taking etc.) - and with 15 I think iPadOS is finally at a stage where I think I could use it somewhat productively. I've been toying with buying the current iPad Air for a couple of months now but I think it may be worth holding off until 2022 to see if they refresh it.

So here's my dilemma:
Option 1: iMac 24in and an iPad Air (2022)
Option 2: MacBook Air (2022)

In the first scenario I see my usage of the iPad as my couch and 'coffee shop' device. I'd use it when I want to work (side hustle) but not at my dedicated desk. In the second scenario I'd use the Air as I do the Pro now - it'd just be a lot nicer to have the newer M1X chip (or whatever it's called). I think it's worth mentioning that if I go for option 2 I will eventually buy an iPad Air anyway but probably wouldn't invest in the pencil as I'd most likely treat it more as a play device.

What's your current set-up and what do you recommend for me? What are the benefits for you using a desktop rather than a laptop?

p.s. sorry for the slightly long post but if you need more details or information, just let me know!

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
For the last six years I have been using a 27” iMac and a 12.9“ iPad Pro and I really like the combination. I work at home (research/writing) and the iMac’s larger screen is very comfortable to work on. The iPad Pro is a supplemental device used for things that the tablet does well, but is versatile enough that I can use it as my only mobile computer (other than my iPhone). I have a thin bluetooth keyboard and a mouse that I keep in my bag that I can hook up to the iPad Pro when I need them. Each device has its niche.
When I purchased my first 12.9 iPad Pro in late 2015, I was using a 16” MacBook Pro and I found that the combination didn’t really make sense for me. I was only really using the laptop as a desktop computer, but the screen was a bit cramped. The iPad Pro was the easier mobile device. So I decided to replace the MBP with the iMac.
So, based on my experience, even with the slightly smaller screen sizes you are considering, I would say go for the iMac/iPad combo, especially if you have a dedicated workspace at home that will be comfortable for a desktop setup.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I now have as my main computers my iMac 27" 2013 and my iPad Pro 12,9" with the magickeyboard keyboard and I think that for me, it is the best use.

I don't really need macOS for day to day use, with what iPadOS offers I have enough, but it is true that I tend to write many hours and I need a keyboard that responds to that work. For my taste the Smartkeyboard is enough, but the mouse on iPadOS to work with text, it is much more comfortable, although in the end it is almost a macbook. The good thing about the iPad, is that as I finish writing, I can take it out of the keyboard and I can underline documents, or just relax and paint a little or navigate without having to have the keyboard on.

Now, if you need macOS and you need it away from home, your option is the future MacBook Air with M2. It all depends on your workflow and what you are going to use it for.

I use the iPad for "basic" things (Word, Pages, web, facetime, social networking, pixelmator for photo editing, procreate for drawing, PDF highlighting apps, etc.), but I don't really need any macOS specific programs in my day to day life, and I work a lot with cloud services.

I use the iMac for gaming, and things where I do need a "complete" operating system. But the use I give it is demanding, but much more punctual than the iPad.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Apologies if this has already been posted or discussed but I just wanted some guidance.

So my history/current situation:
I had a MacBook Air, bought in 2013, for years until it died (user damage) - I loved it.
what happened?
my 2010 MacBook air needed resuscitation couple times.

i would recommend the MacBook Air due to portability and one can do anything with the laptop.

Reactions: Saladin12

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2021
For the last six years I have been using a 27” iMac and a 12.9“ iPad Pro and I really like the combination. I work at home (research/writing) and the iMac’s larger screen is very comfortable to work on. The iPad Pro is a supplemental device used for things that the tablet does well, but is versatile enough that I can use it as my only mobile computer (other than my iPhone). I have a thin bluetooth keyboard and a mouse that I keep in my bag that I can hook up to the iPad Pro when I need them. Each device has its niche.
When I purchased my first 12.9 iPad Pro in late 2015, I was using a 16” MacBook Pro and I found that the combination didn’t really make sense for me. I was only really using the laptop as a desktop computer, but the screen was a bit cramped. The iPad Pro was the easier mobile device. So I decided to replace the MBP with the iMac.
Is there anything that the iPad doesn’t do well, productively wise, that you miss from having a portable laptop??

I now have as my main computers my iMac 27" 2013 and my iPad Pro 12,9" with the magickeyboard keyboard and I think that for me, it is the best use.

I don't really need macOS for day to day use, with what iPadOS offers I have enough, but it is true that I tend to write many hours and I need a keyboard that responds to that work. For my taste the Smartkeyboard is enough, but the mouse on iPadOS to work with text, it is much more comfortable, although in the end it is almost a macbook. The good thing about the iPad, is that as I finish writing, I can take it out of the keyboard and I can underline documents, or just relax and paint a little or navigate without having to have the keyboard on.

Now, if you need macOS and you need it away from home, your option is the future MacBook Air with M2. It all depends on your workflow and what you are going to use it for.

I use the iPad for "basic" things (Word, Pages, web, facetime, social networking, pixelmator for photo editing, procreate for drawing, PDF highlighting apps, etc.), but I don't really need any macOS specific programs in my day to day life, and I work a lot with cloud services.
My main workflow is going to be working on a podcast and other general office based work. I think the iPad would work in this scenario (of course, except actually recording the podcast). I actually think the keyboard would be a better buy than the pencil - is the magic keyboard word the £279!? I just don’t know how to justify that cost on top of a £579 iPad Air

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2021
what happened?
my 2010 MacBook air needed resuscitation couple times.

i would recommend the MacBook Air due to portability and one can do anything with the laptop.
I spilt banana milkshake on it about 5 years ago. It died - nothing I could do make it work. I tried for weeks. So I let it alone but never disposed of it. About 2 years after (so 3 years ago now) I randomly tried to turn it on. To my absolute amazement it turned on! And it was fine-ish for about a year. But the battery was terrible and the machine just wasn’t quite the smooth machine it was before. There was clearly a fair bit of damage to the internals. I’ve still got it but it’s no longer in use at all - or usable for that matter.

My mate bought the exact same model as me about two months after I did in 2013 and his is in pristine condition. What could have been, eh? Haha

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
that is a shame, what we did when these were drowned by everything
was soak the logic baird with rubbing alcohol
i had to use Snow leopard now to a repair a hard drive catalina screwed up.
i would hold on to that MacBook air
those older  computers and OSX are better in 2021

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
Is there anything that the iPad doesn’t do well, productively wise, that you miss from having a portable laptop??

My main workflow is going to be working on a podcast and other general office based work. I think the iPad would work in this scenario (of course, except actually recording the podcast). I actually think the keyboard would be a better buy than the pencil - is the magic keyboard word the £279!? I just don’t know how to justify that cost on top of a £579 iPad Air
I generally used my old laptop sitting at my desk, so lack of portability on my Mac hasn’t affected me much. The main limitations for me personally using the iPad for writing are the smaller windows when I need two windows on screen at the same time and the added fuss required to jump from one Pages document to another, as I generally need 5 or 6 open at a time. iOS 15 seems to help with the latter, although I haven’t spent much time with it yet.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I am in a similar dilemma. I have an iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard that I use everyday, my 2019 MacBook Pro is used only for a very limited number of tasks. I want to retire my MacBook to enter in the Apple Silicon era, and am waiting for the larger iMac silicon this spring to make a decision. I don't know if I want to replace my MacBook with the new MacBook Pro, because my MacBook has not leaved my house since I bought my iPad, but I can't be 100% sure that I would never need a mobile mac in the future. But I would love the screen estate of the iMac, which would be a much better value than MacBook Pro in this regard.

Also, I have an app to control my mac from my iPad. Of course I need internet connection and there's a small latence, but this is the closest thing to macOS on my iPad, and is very useful when I need to do some specific tasks on the go.

For now, I am tempted to keep my iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard as my mobile computer, with an iMac at home that I can access remotely. But my decision isn't made and I may upgrade to the latest MacBook Pro...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.