Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kneeoil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2022
I have had a lengthy repair starting with trying to upgrade to a SSD and upgrade the RAM on a late '13 21.5" iMac. Unit starts up; i.e. I can hear the fan spinning and after several seconds I hear a start-up chime, but the screen stays black; no apple logo. I have checked and the LED lights on the motherboard are all lit (except for the top / 4th one). I think this is happening because there's no OS installed on the new SSD, but I don't think I can do the internet OS install as I have a wireless keyboard / mouse that aren't paired to the computer yet which I think you use to initiate the OS download process. And not sure how I'd see what's happening if I try to make a USB bootable installer given that the screen is black. Thanks for any guidance!

kneeoil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2022
Also - I have a MacBook Pro that I can use to make a USB boot drive if needed

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4th LED doesn't lit means the LCD panel is not connected/working.
1. You can install Mac OS on to an external SSD connected to your MacBook Pro, then move that drive to your iMac and boot from there.
2. To verify that the internal LCD is working or not, you can connect the iMac to an external monitor to check if other things are working. (Using the external SSD created in step 1 above)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.