Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtvdw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

I have a 27" iMac and the graphics card started giving me issues, I'm not a Mac expert and I've tried this and this and this and this but no luck. Also, I haven't tried baking the the physical card, I'm not pro doing it, might mess it up even more. What I'm I missing or doing wrong, any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cruz3LT

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Seattle, Washington
Baking the card is rather easy and I have been successful with it. Just be sure that you purchase everything that you need beforehand if you go that route. If you have any questions, you can either reply here or message me.

jtvdw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

Thanks for the update and info, much appreciated.

Before I go that route, do you perhaps know if there is 1 final fix I can maybe try before baking the card, if you perhaps know.

Was the banking your last option or just tried it and it worked, pm me the details if you can, will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

jtvdw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

So it boots fine till after the apple logo, then the screen goes blank and restarts the whole time.

Thanks.

Cruz3LT

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Seattle, Washington
Hi,

So it boots fine till after the apple logo, then the screen goes blank and restarts the whole time.

Thanks.
so you are going into a boot loop. I do not believe that there is anything else you can do besides replace the GPU or bake it. This was the same problem that I had with mine. I just bit the bullet and baked it. Baking it isn't guaranteed to work, but it is a cheaper option. Have you opened this machine up before?

jtvdw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

Exactly the boot loop. Okay, what must I do to bake the GPU, yes I’ve opened it a couple of times before.

Thanks.

Cruz3LT

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Seattle, Washington
you are going to want to remove the logic board completely. But first remove your ram. Afterwards, remove the GPU from the logic board and then remove the heat sink. Clean off all the thermal compound found on the chips on the GPU. Purchase new thermal compound, I bought mine off of amazon, it is the arctic silver. You are going to want to set your oven to 290 degrees f and bake the GPU for 9 min. Then shut the oven off, pull out the GPU and let it cool for about 30 min.

jtvdw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

Great, thanks for the information, I will do it and get back to you. Who ever found that this solution works or does the apple people do that, just curious.

Thanks.

Cruz3LT

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Seattle, Washington
Hi,

Great, thanks for the information, I will do it and get back to you. Who ever found that this solution works or does the apple people do that, just curious.

Thanks.
You are essentially doing what the machine did to itself because they run too hot. Install a fan control afterwards will extend the life of this fix.

jtvdw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Hi,

That makes sense, I will do it and post again. Installing a fan controller, assuming software to monitor the temp inside?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.