Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HisDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2021
I currently have an iMac 27 2011, is using the classic HD 6970 and I want to upgrade the GPU, I saw a R9 290X/HD 8970 but I didn't find any info. Btw I want to use an eGPU to cause I need MacOS Catalina o Big Sur but I need a good performance. Recomendations?

-i7 2600
-32GB RAM
-SSD 512GB
-HDD 2TB
-HD 6970 1GB

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
So i should pass to a 880m I guess?

If you are comfortable with working inside your iMac and other stuff like flashing vBIOS, Opencore etc., welcome to the club.

HisDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2021
If you are comfortable with working inside your iMac and other stuff like flashing vBIOS, Opencore etc., welcome to the club.

Sure, no problem. btw, I want to use an eGPU to improve the performance. It could be a problem if I use vBIOS? and i need to use Catalina OS xd

HisDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2021

Or instead of use an 880m should I use just an eGPU? I was thinking in RX 5500XT or RX Vega 56 RX 590

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Or instead of use an 880m should I use just an eGPU? I was thinking in RX 5500XT or RX Vega 56 RX 590

As you are thinking of eGPU, I suggest you build a Hackintosh and use your iMac 2011 as monitor. You will get all the speed and expandability, while still keeping the 27" 2k display.

Get an RX5700XT or RX6700XT if available.
I made a mistake and bought RX6600XT, which is not supported by Opencore.

Last edited:

HisDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2021
And how does you connect your eGPU to your iMac 2011? Check the specs of the eGPU you want to buy.
using an eGPU case with thunderbolt 3 and an adapter thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2, and with a repository from Git. I saw some videos and it's pretty easy but there could be some problems in specific case.

HisDev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2021
As you are thinking of eGPU, I suggest you build a Hackintosh and use your iMac 2011 as monitor. You will get all the speed and expandability, while still keeping the 27" 2k display.

Get an RX5700XT or RX6700XT if available.
I made a mistake and bought RX6600XT, which is not supported by Opencore.
But i want to use native MacOS because I already have the iMac, my PC is good enough so I really want to improve my iMac and make a fully work station, I want the eGPU to connect not only the iMac, I also want to connect my MacBook Pro whem I'm in home and use an Ultra Wide monitor. Just to work and casual games. That's why asked about use an iGPU like GTX 880m or an eGPU like RX 5500XT or 590 / Vega 54.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
But i want to use native MacOS because I already have the iMac, my PC is good enough so I really want to improve my iMac and make a fully work station, I want the eGPU to connect not only the iMac, I also want to connect my MacBook Pro whem I'm in home and use an Ultra Wide monitor. Just to work and casual games. That's why asked about use an iGPU like GTX 880m or an eGPU like RX 5500XT or 590 / Vega 54.

Native Mac OS for iMac 2021 is High Sierra, it's not supported with more recent Mac OS.
Installing newer Mac OS to it means you have just done a Hackintosh project.
Review the definition of Hackintosh: Installing Mac OS on non-supported hardware.

Research more about eGPU.
I think your idea is not working because no commercial solution is available at the moment.
A normal Thunderbolt 3 eGPU will not feedback signal to drive the internal LCD on your iMac 2021.
There is a work-around (i.e. more serious hacking) solution: Use an LCD driver board to make the internal LCD external, then reroute the cable (DP) back to it from the eGPU. But this would be a different type of eGPU which will not work on MacBook. This type of eGPU will use the MXM slot on the iMac's logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.