Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Hello,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice and recommandation.

Basically, I've bought this iMac 27" in August 2020, and almost immediately purchased additional Ram (16Gbx2) on Amazon at the time.

Recently, the iMac kept crashing randomly, without any evidence of what was causing the issue.

I brought it to Apple on Wednesday and got it back today. They explained it was most likely due to the additional ram installed because once they removed it and reset it, the problem didn't occur anymore.

I'm not sure if it's 100% the ram? But again it was cheap ram, and after over 3 years it doesn't sound like a surprise that it was the problem since it was like the cheapest option at the time (144€).

I'm wondering now where and what kind of ram should I buy to add the same amount back and to avoid any further issue, because I know the base 8 Gb won't be enough for my usage.

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Sad
Reactions: Andrey84

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Crucial RAM "for Mac" has the best reputation, IMO.
Crucial (aka Micron) is one of the three memory OEMs for Apple (the others are Samsung and Hynix)

This is US link, but you can probably find same in EU. This is the RAM I have been using for 3+ years without issue. (However, like all computers, I have had occasional crashes for no obvious reasons.)

Last edited:

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Crucial RAM for Mac has the best reputation, IMO.
Crucial (aka Micron) is one of the three memory OEMs for Apple (the others are Samsung and Hynix)

This is US link, but you can probably find same in EU

I suspect the issue was poor contacts/seating, not the RAM itself
the thing is that I ran with it for over 3 years though, so there should have been an issue before that, shouldn't it?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
the thing is that I ran with it for over 3 years though, so there should have been an issue before that, shouldn't it?
Sorry, I misread your original post - I thought you said Apple reseated your RAM, but actually you said Apple removed the extra RAM and reset the computer. In which case, I agree, the issue points towards the extra RAM. I edited my previous post.

btw, I recommend not add the new RAM to the Apple RAM. Instead, REPLACE the Apple RAM with the new RAM. This is in order to get full memory speed

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Sorry, I misread your original post - I thought you said Apple reseated your RAM, but actually you said Apple removed the extra RAM and reset the computer. In which case, I agree, the issue points towards the extra RAM. I edited my previous post
Oh ok yeah, hopefully that was that.

I think I'm going to get the Crucial 2x32Go DDR4 2666MHz and remove the Apple (since I initially mixed the third party ones with the Apple ones too)

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
Hello,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice and recommandation.

Basically, I've bought this iMac 27" in August 2020, and almost immediately purchased additional Ram (16Gbx2) on Amazon at the time.

Recently, the iMac kept crashing randomly, without any evidence of what was causing the issue.

I brought it to Apple on Wednesday and got it back today. They explained it was most likely due to the additional ram installed because once they removed it and reset it, the problem didn't occur anymore.

I'm not sure if it's 100% the ram? But again it was cheap ram, and after over 3 years it doesn't sound like a surprise that it was the problem since it was like the cheapest option at the time (144€).

I'm wondering now where and what kind of ram should I buy to add the same amount back and to avoid any further issue, because I know the base 8 Gb won't be enough for my usage.

Thanks a lot in advance.
1)Reinstall the RAM memory modules.
2)Disconnect all external devices except keyboard, mouse, monitor, Ethernet connection (if applicable), and AC power connection.
3)Launch the Apple Diagnostics application
4)Turn on your Mac, then while it is starting up, press and hold the D key immediately on the keyboard.
Release the key when the progress bar or language selection prompt appears.
If using the D key doesn't work, press and hold Option (⌥)-D at startup.
5) Review the test results. If the following errors occur, the memory is at fault:
PPM001
PPM002
PPM003
PPM004
PPM005
PPM006
PPM007
PPM008
PPM009
PPM010
PPM011
PPM012
PPM013
PPM014
PPM015
PPM016

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
So I'm booting up the iMac after grabbing it back from Apple.

And it's grey screen, nothing but the cursor and then it restarts and does the same again and again.

They absolutely didn't do anything besides taking off my ram

EDIT: I erased the disk again and I'm now reinstalling the os. It's an old one too lol, they told me they'd update to the latest.

Last edited:
  • Sad

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
After erasing again, reinstalling macos, when I launch it it stays on the grey screen (similar to the recovery part).

I don't know what's going on now. It was supposedly working again lol

• Sad

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
After erasing again, reinstalling macos, when I launch it it stays on the grey screen (similar to the recovery part).

I don't know what's going on now. It was supposedly working again lol
Boot into safe mode (hold down shift key). See if still a problem - if so, it points to a hardware problem.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I purchased a used 2020 27inch IMAC from BBY during the holidays. Was listed on their website for $409.00. Listed as FAIR condition. So I passed on it. A week or two later still listed on BESTBUY.COM so I went to the store to see it. Listed as FAIR because no keyboard or mouse. Run all the diagnostics and every think checked out excellent so I bought it.
To the issue of this post:Ram. It came with 8G which I guess that's normal. Ordered 32G from OWC. Received and installed. Started reading a few post for Dual Channel the ram needed to match or the frequency drops. One night on OWC and looking at their discounted APPLE accessory and saw a listing to sell used APPLE OE 16G RAM for 2019-2020 IMAC for $19.99. Ordered 4 (64G for about $80), installed and works great. I just check and they still offer that same deal. Returned the 32G I purchased from OWC to have APPLE OE 16 x 4.

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Just read that the iMac doesn't work after it was returned from Apple - sorry to hear that. I support all the comments about booting into safe mode, running hardware checks, etc.
-------
One more vote for Crucial, I used it in two different iMacs for over 10 years, never had a single problem.
Also another vote for fully replacing RAM, rather than mixing modules.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.