Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elirand5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
Hello!
I am using iMac 27 2015 with 1T HDD but its working slowly
I want to replace for ssd but its to expensive
The solution is to run the os from external hd
what is faster and better ssd with usb3 or hd with thunderbolt?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The faster and better would be a external SATA SSD in a USB3 enclosure (make sure it supports UASP Transfer Protocol).

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
The replacement isn't too bad. The difference between running even an SSD internally vs externally is very noticeable.

Usb3 is slower than thunderbolt however thunderbolt external devices are very expensive. Just replace the drive internally. Took me $10 in tools, $10 for the adhesive kit to replace the screen and just paid attention to the walk through. It was easier than I thought.

The speeds now that i mounted it inside are a lot faster when I ran the same SSD externally via USB3

It will cost you more to use it externally via thunderbolt and will cost the same if you mount it internally. The cost of the USB enclosure washes out the cost of the parts needed.

elirand5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
yes you are wright but to change internally is more expensive and if you do it along
its cancel the warranty

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
I used a Silicon Power Thunderbolt as an external SSD on my former 2012 21.5" iMac and it was superb. Read and write speed faster than 90% of internal SSDs. Now I use it as an external backup on my new 27" iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.