Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veiu0107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2023
Hello,
I have bought myself a broken iMac which i tryed to fix. It had fryed psu and led inverter board. I have revived the psu and replaced the led inverter board. I couldn't get the picture so I have decided prematurely that the display itself is defective. Now when i bought another display and that has also failed to post a picture i jhave started to search for another possible problem and i saw that eaven lvds conector was a little bit damaged. I have replaced the lvds conector and cable also and now i have picture but there is no led backlight on the screen. My old screen and the new screen are acting the same. 4 leds light up on the motherboard. I eaven tested the gtx 680m (with mac bios) instead of hd 6970m but the result is the same.

My question is now, can anyone tell me some main diagnostic for led backlight? I am complete noob when it comes to iMac. The things that i find out are:
- led inverter board is powered from psu (12v and 3.3v on 6pin connector)

- led inverter board has output to the screen (12v output)

- dp power conector also has 12v

- lvds connector is questionable but since it is giving picture i thought that everything is ok with it

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
All I know is that the 3.3V line of the 6-pin connector is supposed to be PWM signal.
You can purchase a PWM module and disconnect that 3.3V line from the logic board, control the PWM signal manually.
Another option is to purchase the replacement LCD backlight board to see whether the existing one is defective or not.

More detailed explanation and how-to guideline is in this amazing post of wlagarde

Last edited:

veiu0107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2023
All I know is that the 3.3V line of the 6-pin connector is supposed to be PWM signal.
You can purchase a PWM module and disconnect that 3.3V line from the logic board, control the PWM signal manually.
Another option is to purchase the replacement LCD backlight board to see whether the existing one is defective or not.

More detailed explanation and how-to guideline is in this amazing post of wlagarde

Thank you for the info. Is it possible that the main psu is maybe deffective? Or complete backlight is going threw led inverter?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thank you for the info. Is it possible that the main psu is maybe deffective? Or complete backlight is going threw led inverter?

You have already fixed the PSU and the LED inverter board.
So I guess if your fixed PSU could power the whole logicboard, then there is no problem with it.
Now the LED inverter board need signal to power on from the logicboard, then PWM signal to control brightness. Check these 2 lines, you may find your issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.