Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

True.Panda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Hi everyone!

I have an iMac 27" mid 2017 with 1 Tb Fusion Drive and planning to perform an upgrade. Despite the fact that there are plenty of videos around the internet, describing how to do it, I still have some things that I is not clear for me.
I'm planning to install Samsung EVO 850 - 500Gb SSD drive with a WD Black 250 Gb on Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C adapter.
Here is my questions:
1. I assume it's not possible to just install both drives, replacing the old ones to a new ones, then boot iMac in Internet Recovery Mode and make a fress install of OS? Am I right with my assumptions?
2. On Samsung EVO 850 SSD I actually have Mac OS installed, it is used as external drive plugged through USB. Am I right, assuming that when two SDDs (Samsung and WD Black) will be installed, the Fusion drive mode disappears, and I should be able to load mac os from Samsung EVO drive?
3. If all of my previouse assumptions were wrong, what should I do in order to install Mac OS on one of my drives after an upgrade? Is there any option to download for example Mac OS Sierra on disc on key (flash drive) and then in recovery mode install it from there?
Thank you in advanced!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.