Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teeforb

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Hi,

I am looking to get the iMac 27" i7. I found on the apple support page saying the late 2009 iMac 27" has the audio supported with the mini display port, just as the 2010 macbook pro does. Is this true? I went to the Apple store and not one person knew about this or could give me a definite YES. And if this is the truth, what mini display port to HDMI that supports audio is available?

Second question on the iMac... Do you guys expect any upgrade during the summer on the iMacs? Like blu-ray or HDMI support?

thanks!!!!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Yes, audio + video should work with all Mini DisplayPorts now but it requires unreleased Apple MDP to HDMI cable (some 3rd party may work).

With that, Apple provides official HDMI support so I doubt we'll see an HDMI port but MDP is pretty good now. Blu-Ray is something that nobody can confirm, Apple either adopts it or doesn't (likely doesn't yet)

teeforb

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Yes, audio + video should work with all Mini DisplayPorts now but it requires unreleased Apple MDP to HDMI cable (some 3rd party may work).

With that, Apple provides official HDMI support so I doubt we'll see an HDMI port but MDP is pretty good now. Blu-Ray is something that nobody can confirm, Apple either adopts it or doesn't (likely doesn't yet)

thanks for the reply.. My main concern is supporting audio/video within one port or wire. Blu-ray i can live without and the figure is soft media.

if someone can kindly recommend a 3rd party MDP to HDMI caple that supports audio, that would be great!

Thanks!!

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
it's not the hdmi nor mini-displayport specs preventing audio output. it's apple doing the limiting, which they have "fixed" in the latest mbp. are you sure the late 2009 imacs can output audio via mini-dp? i don't believe it does.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
it's not the hdmi nor mini-displayport specs preventing audio output. it's apple doing the limiting, which they have "fixed" in the latest mbp. are you sure the late 2009 imacs can output audio via mini-dp? i don't believe it does.

I'm wondering about this as well. I have yet to hear of any proof that the information on Apple's website regarding the late 2009 27" iMacs is true.

-PN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.