Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I have an iMac 350 (Indigo) that I would really like to put to use and with Apple's "iTV" coming soon, I finally have something to do with it. I plan to store it in my closet and run it as a media server for streaming content to the "iTV." I have a couple questions first...

1. It currently runs Mac OS 9. Can I install OS X on a newly installed hard drive without installing the firmware update that's recommended by Apple on their Web site?

2. I'm definitely upgrading this iMac to 1 GB of RAM, but do you think it will be powerful enough to stream my content flawlessly? I have a few videos in HD (like the MacBreak podcast), so do you think it will be able to stream it okay? I won't actually be playing it *on* my iMac, so will this make a difference? I'll simply be streaming it to "iTV."

3. Do you think it is safe to store and run this iMac in my closet? I understand it uses no fans to cool itself, so that's why I ask.

I really appreciate any answers I receive. If this iMac isn't a worthy machine to stream my content, then I may just go with a headless Mac, like a used Power Mac G3/G4 (would G3 be okay?) off eBay. I would just like to know ahead of time so I can start looking over everything.

Thanks a lot! :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
All we can say for now is "maybe" :)

If iTV does no more than access the network and hard drive, then a low CPU might be fine. In that case the iTV's own CPU is doing the playback/decoding.

But if the serving computer must do any kind of pre-processing or DRM stuff on the fly, then it too might need a fast CPU.

(Also you might need faster AirPort--but iTV has Ethernet too.)

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Well my closet is cleaned out (took all day :p), but now I have to decide if the iMac is fast enough to stream the content I want. Does anyone else have any comments on this? If a Power Mac is required, then I'll definitely go for that.

Don't you love how Apple motivated me to clean out my closet for a future product of theirs? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.