Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LNXJ!7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
Et/Al:

Good day,

What is the detailed process to stop a 4T External drive (connected via USB to an iMAC) already in the encrypted process?...And what is the process to remove the encryption that was already in process?...

And one more question...As soon as my external 4T drive started to encrypt after I pressed the start encryption button, the iMAC rebooted, and when it came up there was a "grey square in the middle of the iMAC screen blinking on and off and my 4T external drive light was blinking off and on...

Now, on 3 1/2 days (72) hours or so, and now the grey square in the middle of the iMAC screen stopped blinking and the external 4T USB drive light is blinking a lot slower than it did when the initial encryption process started and during the middle of the encryption process. The question is: "Is this normal?"

The reason I ask is that a grey blinking square in the middle of the iMAC screen usually means the external drive is not recognized by the iMAC system, and there are a lot of other detailed processes that need to be done to fix that one. Well...One more question. Ha, ha, ha!!!...Will the iMac system automatically reboot when the entire 4T USB external drive encryption process is completed?

Okay, that is a lot of questions.

Many thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.