Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppedal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Long story short; I have a slow, overheating and SUPER NOISY 2010 iMac that I really wan't to replace with a brand new (non-noisy) iMac.
Only problem is that my current iMac also doubles as an external monitor for my boyfriends Windows PC (for gaming). I know that the "new" iMacs (2010+) officially no longer support video input via Mini DisplayPort. I really don't wan't 2 monitors, so I'm sort of sticking to this hellhole of a machine just because of that :(

So... Is there an "unofficial way" - any way - that I will be able to use the new iMac as an external monitor for a Windows PC. Some obscure cable connection, remote desktop software, WIFI/ethernet streaming - I'll take almost anything!

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Why not just keep your old iMac as a monitor and have your boyfriend move it on and off the desk when he wants to use it? If that is its sole purposes, let the user of the device manage setting it up and tearing it down.

Or get a second desk.

Obviously suggestion 1 does not appeal to your desire for only a single monitor. And option 2 only works if you have the space available.

Otherwise, @mj_ has the right response - "Nope".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.