Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Not sure qwhether this is in the right forum, but I just wanted to know whether I can throw (ie, recycle) my iMac box, or should I keep it?

If (for some strange reason) somehting happened to my imac and it had to go for repair or something, how would it be sent back? Would Apple send a box?

Only asking, cos it's taking quite a bit of room, plus it doesn't fit up into the attic hole

Thanks

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
I recommend keeping it and I'm usually the first to pitch a product box to reduce clutter. Not only is it perfect to protect your Mac if you have to ship it or even move - you planning on living in your place forever? - but some day you might actually want to sell it on eBay or something when you upgrade to the next generation uber iMac2 8Ghz quad processor system. That box will make your Mac more attractive to the prospective buyer I assure you.

Just my 2 cents.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
KEEP! Improved resale value, plus you don't have to spend (a surprisingly large amount of) money getting new shipping materials when you move/sell it!

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Keep. You just never know.

If you need a repair, yes, Apple will send a box but if you need to transport that for another reason, (or sell it) it would be best to have the box.

I moved from Seattle, WA to Tampa, FL to London, England and my iMac survied the entire trip thanks to that packaging. (It was checked with baggage at the airports, and we know how they treat things) It was very handy to have in my case.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
ahh right.. looks like my decision has been made then..

i can show this thread to my wife who may now stop bugging me to throw it away :D

it's just a shame that it can't quite fit in the attic hole to get it up there for safe keeping instead of taking the room in the (rather small) office room.

thank you for your responses

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
I agree, keep it! Im keeping my MBP box for re-sale purposes. Its looks alot better if you can give someone an item in the packaging you bought it in. It shows caring and forward thinking. It may well be the difference between someone buying it (if/when u sell it in the future) and them not.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
JDN said:
I agree, keep it! Im keeping my MBP box for re-sale purposes. Its looks alot better if you can give someone an item in the packaging you bought it in. It shows caring and forward thinking. It may well be the difference between someone buying it (if/when u sell it in the future) and them not.

a MBP box is significantly smaller than an iMac box. that said, everyone here makes a good point so i would definitely keep it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not just an iMac box -- it's a good policy to retain the original packing materials for any consumer electronics product you buy, at least for as long as the warranty runs -- indefinitely, if you've got the storage space. You never know if or when you'll have to ship it back to the manufacturer.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
Keep it. When you sell it, it will be much easier then packing it in a new box. Also easier for moving. I keep all boxes of things that I might sell in the future (cell phones, computers, perhipels.)

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
i've got a TINY room, and I kept my imac box. I can see myself moving some day in a year or two and it'll come in quite handy for that. It also happens to just barely fit in my amplifier box, another box i can't seem to let myself get rid of. Boxes aren't so bad to hold onto when you realize you can shove all the other crap you don't wanna throw out inside them.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I just sold my iMac, it´s a BIG difference for the buyer if he gets his Mac in original packaging. Feels kinda new to him as well. Keep it

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A) Make a fort out of it.

or B) Take the foam out, flatten it, and fold it in half. Seal the foam in a bag and it should all fit in the attic hatch. When you re-assemble it one day, it will have an added crease, but no big deal.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
nagromme said:
Take the foam out, flatten it, and fold it in half. Seal the foam in a bag and it should all fit in the attic hatch. When you re-assemble it one day, it will have an added crease, but no big deal.

I had thought about flat packing it like you described, but wasn't sure if it would fit back together again, as it would have tape etc.. all over it, and not really look very nice - especially if sold. Altho it would still be the original box..

:confused:

BwanaZulia

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
Keep it for 30-90 days so it would be easy to send back.

After that, ditch it.

When you go to sell it, sell it on Craigslist and have the person come pick it up.

I did this with about 3 computers and it works great.

BZ

Philgr

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Just got mine today

Thought i better keep the box

Trip to the end of the garden to find the steps to get up to the loft

Emptied half the shed to get them out BTW it was raining

Back down the garden opens up the loft

Bloody Box wont go through the Hatch :mad:

Bugger !!!

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2005
if you have to put it in the attic.. break down the box and then tape it up wen you have to use it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.