Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex.ranee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
My Macbook Pro 2011 took a crap on me so I am looking into buying an iMac 2017. I am looking between a few different configurations. I am a photographer but I also do wedding videos or 5 minute short films every now and then so I want a set up that can handle photo editing, light video editing and also illustration and some gaming (Sims, FFXIV)

21.5 inch 3.4GHz i5 (or 3.6ghz i7 + $180)
32GB RAM
512 SSD
Radeon pro 560 4GB VRAM

27 inch 3.4GHz i5
32GB RAM
512GB SSD
Radeon Pro 570 4GB VRAM

27 inch 3.8GHz i5
32GB RAM
512 SSD
Radeon Pro 580 8GB VRAM

I want to keep it as cheap as possible without sacrificing much, so the 21.5 looks good but I am unsure is 3.4GHz processor and 4GB VRAM is enough for what I want to do with it.

Also, is 32GB RAM overload? Or should I downgrade to 16GB to save money.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
For general guidelines to questions like these, I list the following by priority:

#1 Priority - GPU, since this this usually the weak link for Mac longevity, I recommend getting the best one that you can for most Macs. GPUs on most Macs cannot be swapped easily. External GPUs might change this, but right now, I still think it is best to prioritize this.

#2 Priority - Hard Drive, while usually easier to replace than the GPU, I still think just spending the extra amount and getting a SSD would be ideal. If you need the extra space, but don't want external storage, then get a 2TB Fusion Drive or larger. The 1TB Fusion was nerfed a few years ago, and now has a tiny 32GB SSD with it. The original 1TB Fusion Drive, and the current 2TB, and 3TB Fusion Drives have 128GB SSD with them.

#3 Priority - RAM, while I normally have this below SSDs, for the 21" iMacs, the RAM is not user-replaceable, so if you choose this, I would get the 32GB. If getting a 27" maybe get the 16GB and see if that fits your needs, if not, put in two 8GB sticks, which would probably be much cheaper than having Apple do it.

#4 Priority - Processor, This depends on the usage. I think the i5 would be fine for your usage. The i7 would be better, but there are some problems with the i7 iMacs. The i7 has been know to have heat-related issues, and can be noisy from what I have read about them.

I think these general guidelines would fit in with your usage.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
The current trend seems to be for VRAM/GPU requirements to double every 3 years. I'd expect 4GB will be enough to keep up with light video editing and Sims level gaming for 6+ years, but if you were hoping to play AAA games, do 3D animation, or work in VR in the future then 8GB would be beneficial.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Apple charges way too much for memory and SSD.

Get the 1TB Fusion Drive + 8GB DDR4 and upgrade it yourself.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
If the OP opens the iMac to change the drive the OP should know that Apple will likely decline to work on his iMac if he brings it in for warranty work and they determine that the machine was opened.

OR the OP can be smart, and not open his iMac until his warranty is over, and make use of the iMac's extensive and super fast Thunderbolt 3/ USB-C expandability to add storage.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 27" 3.5ghz "midrange" model is a very good compromise between extra power and "silence". It also adds slightly better graphics.
For $200 more than the base model, it's a good deal.

I'd recommend that you get a straight SSD, either the 256gb version (adds $100) or the 512gb version (adds $300).
DON'T pay the high price for anything larger.
If you need "more space" (for storing photo projects, etc.), add it via USB3. Cheap, easy, fast.

DON'T buy any more than 8gb of RAM.
Apple overcharges for it.
IF you need it (try it for a few weeks with 8gb first), add it yourself.

Final thought:
Get a 27" (no matter what options inside)
As a photographer, you will NEVER regret buying the larger display.
Never.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
A large number of posts were removed as the thread was heavily derailed. Please stop with the bickering and stay on topic

Reactions: alien3dx

Azeroth1

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
If at all possible Wait for the upcoming iMac refresh and buy the base 27 model.

If not, refurbished 27 inch 2017 base or ideally an ssd alone depending on what’s in the store. Start with 16gb ram, if needed can add ram later yourself.

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
i’d go with the 27” 3.4ghz but wait for the refresh if possible and go all SSD.

That will eventually be my next upgrade unless I decide to go MBP and external monitor. The 27” monitor is wonderful for photo editing even on my 2010 with no Retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.