Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
USA
Went to my local apple store today. They had one core 2 duo iMac on display, a 17". Naturally, I looked at the "About This Mac" box, and this is what I saw:

placeholder.jpg

Anybody know what's up with that?

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
When I put a Merom in my iMac, it didn't acknowledge anything more than that it was an Intel processor when I went to "About This Mac". Perhaps the placeholder is there until there is a firmware update that allows the system to properly recoginze the CPU.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
btree said:
Went to my local apple store today. They had one core 2 duo iMac on display, a 17". Naturally, I looked at the "About This Mac" box, and this is what I saw:

placeholder.jpg

Anybody know what's up with that?

There is no 8K1079 that I know of.

How did you get that screen capture from an Apple store to that website that has the pic?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
The builds 8K..... have started showing up since the Mac Pro came out, they are designed to support the new line i suppose.

btree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
USA
Peace said:
How did you get that screen capture from an Apple store to that website that has the pic?

I went to Terminal and used the ftp client. I didn't have my flash drive on me at the time.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
OS uncertainty.

When a new processor comes out, the OS won't know what to make of it until an update comes out. An x86 processor has two 'identifying' strings. One that is just a set of numbers that identifies the 'family', 'model' and 'revision' of a chip, and another that is a plain text string that generally isn't formatted very well. (For example, a Core 2 Extreme, Intel's top-end desktop chip, has a 'CPUID' string of 6F5, and a 'Specification string' of "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU X6800 @ 2.93 GHz") Neither look very good in an 'About this Computer' box.

So Apple takes the numeric string, and looks up the name of the processor. It then displays the 'friendly' name. Well, the OS must not have a processor for that CPUID yet.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
amin said:
I have that exact iMac and my About this Mac is the following:
66713191.eh4MISyH.Picture2.png

Quick, unrelated question. How come yours shows the speed of the RAM? My Mini just says "1GB DDR2 SDRAM" and that's it. No speed. In System Profiler it shows the speed, but not in the About This Mac screen.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
livingfortoday said:
Quick, unrelated question. How come yours shows the speed of the RAM? My Mini just says "1GB DDR2 SDRAM" and that's it. No speed. In System Profiler it shows the speed, but not in the About This Mac screen.

I don't know :confused:.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
My MacBook Pro doesn't show the speed, either. It must be a firmware thing.

As for the difference? The 'released' Core 2 Duo iMacs (as evidenced by amin,) appear to have a later release of the OS than the display model. (8K1106 vs. 8K1079)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.